Why a miter saw?

Page 2 of 2

Need? You don't.
Want? Use? Yes
Trimming the end of an 8' board on a table saw can be unwieldy and unsafe at times. So simple on the miter saw. I bought mine to do some flooring, but I still use it for every project. if nothing else, it excels at making long boards into short boards.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

For those with challenging TS's it makes life easier. My Delta 12" CMS went to the storage shed a couple of weeks after I bought a Cabinet saw with 50" rip capacity almost 6 years ago. Now the TS works better and I only use the miter saw for on site jobs.

I can cut miter more accurately on my miter saw than I can on my table saw. That is the reason that I own a miter saw. Jim
On 29 Jan 2006 12:58:07 -0800, upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Well, you don't really NEED any tool, even a table saw... you DO have a hand saw, right??
For me, it's partly convenience, partly that I'm not really into crosscuts on a table saw.. especially if they're short... maybe i'm just lazy, but if I want to cut an inch off the end of a tuba four or six, it's quicker and easier to use the CMS... I can be done with the cut in less time than it takes to clear the shit off the saw table.. *lol*
also, one things like long pieces of molding of furring strips, I feel like it's safer to use the CMS... (or the Radial) Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm