Why a miter saw?

Page 1 of 2

I've seen lots of pictures of woodworkers' workshops and even ones with big, large capacity table saws also have a miter saw. Why do you need a miter saw once you have a table saw? I can't picture anything you could do on a miter saw that you couldn't do on a table saw with extension wings.
Just curious.
Mike
setup time
Steve

I'll second that. You don't 'really' need one (IMHO), but it is convenient sometimes.
'I' have yet to see David Marks use a miter saw, but there must be at least one episode where he has.?.
--
Stoutman
http://www.garagewoodworks.com

Yeah, a couple. I think one was the workshop tour. Other times from what he said I got the distinct impression the pieces had been through a miter saw off camera.
I got mine for an upcoming bathroom remodel because I knew it was going to speed things up. I just didn't think it was going to speed things up THAT much, or that it would be the most-used tool in the shop. Not the most important to get that particular job done; it just usually ends up doing something for every job.

I find it really difficult to cut a miter or straight cut on stock longer than about 4 feet on a table saw so the miter saw comes in very handy when cutting something longer than that.
Gary

Hint, If your TS has a long rip capacity,48"+, put a fence on that miter gauge or build a cross cut sled. I pretty easily square the ends of 8' long boards on my TS.
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

Take it outside, to where the "job" is. In my case the CMS was bought to build replacemenst for some "deck like" walkways around the house. No way am I slogging boards back and forth from outside down the shop (that's in a basement).
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Yesterday I cut 112 pieces of 1x2 to a length of 14' 3", long point to long point, with a compound miter on both ends. It took about an hour on my miter saw. Can you cut a 14' piece with a compound miter on both ends with your table saw? How long does it take you to set it up (if you can do it at all)?
They are different animals entirely and I must have both. Many jobs I do not need a table saw at all, but I almost always use my miter saws. I couldn't live without them.
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Robert Allison wrote:

I have to ask... what were they for?
207.115.17.102:

He was obviously making long pointy sticks.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

for cutting very long stock. plus the convenience. you might have your TS set up with a dado blade or molding head.
Dave

You're probably right. I suppose it's a matter of preference. But sooner or later I suppose you'd find yourself wrestling with a 12ft piece of something on a table saw...
Joe Barta
Thanks. I can see where having one would be helpful. Maybe one day when I get a bigger garage.
Mike
A twelve foot piece of molding comes to mind.

#1. When cutting rough lumber to length, it's far easier to not have to move the large piece of wood across a saw table.
#2. The MS crosscuts warped, twisted, etc... stock easier and safer.
#3. The MS is available when a complicated or precise rip is set up on the TS.
#4. The MS is available when the dado is installed on the TS.
#5. The MS is much more portable.
#6. One saw is available for 90 degree cuts when the other is set up and fine tuned for a precise angle.
Lots of folks do varied projects, so one is often far superior than the other for a particular task. Once you've got both it's convenient to have ready access to either.
Barry
On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 22:09:33 GMT, Ba r r y

Barry.. your list made me think of another reason: When cutting rough lumber and you don't want to take the $100 blade off the TS to do it.. Mac https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm
mac davis wrote:

I have a $90 Chopmaster on the miter saw.
The stock blade is still handy for framing, deck building, hardwood flooring, etc... <G>
Barry

heh heh... well no one really neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeds one per say, unless you do a whole lot of cross cutting very long boards, like in furniture production, maybe even a tad less. Anyone can accuratley use a decent hand saw in a basic home shop. And you can't load a heeyyoooj looooooong board on a TS, really. But an electric miter saw provides a lot of conveniences in small work as well, without the hassle of clamping a board down on a set of saw horses. You can use a manual miter box as well, many out there. And that's the way I do it, I stick to: as "neander" as possible.
--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com
On 29 Jan 2006 12:58:07 -0800, upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Cross-cutting on a table saw can be a PITA.
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I built a jungle Gym in my back yard last year. Some of the pieces were 12-18 ft. 4x4s. I bought a table saw and used it because I didnt know any better. Since I'm still alive I know there is God :P
I have a miter saw on the way now...
--
Thank you,