why a left handed circular saw?

Why does Porter-Cable sell a left-handed circular saw and, downright shocking to a lefty, why do I see them actually on the shelf in the local borg?
-j
Joe User wrote:

A blade on the left saw isn't necessarily a left handed tool.
The blade on the left allows right handed users to see the blade. Lefties have enjoyed this for years.
It's all about preference.
Barry
Many of the worm-drive circular saws have the blade to the left of the motor. Visibility to the line of cut is typically the reason. The saw is still held in the right hand using the left hand on the knob. Having both RH and LH saws means that the weight of the motor (and the bulk of the shoe) can be oriented over the larger piece of lumber or plywood. when cutting near an edge. Safety glasses are even more important when the blade is closer to the user's face than the saw motor. The body of the saw no longer blocks the chips that fly out the side of the blade guard.

Actually it is. Read the owners manual for a left blade saw and notice that the saw is to be held with the left hand.

And any excess saw dust that may fly up in your face. There is a reason that the blade is hard to see when used correctly.

My lefty friend hates the right handed saws for the above reason.
Leon wrote:

Thanks!
I've never seen a manual for the left blade saws, I've only used them.
The PC version does not throw up a lot of dust in my face, and the chute output can be directed in the direction of the user's choosing. The saw is extremely popular with righties in my area.
Barry

Well it is often found that we do not actually use some tools in the way that they were intended to be used. I don't use a TS guard. LOL
Leon wrote:

I hear ya' there!
Barry
I looked at one and scratched my head. Quickly decided it's better our (lefties way in a right world) way. I could look all the way over to the otherside, but damn I've been doing it the "wrong" way for way to many years!

One of the advantages of being "sinister" in a dexter world is that I had to become functionally ambidextrous whereas most of my "righty" friends are solely (okay, some barely) functional with one hand.
I have had one for five years. I can't remember who told me about it, but I thought I would give it a try.
Absolutely Love it.
Cant stand to pickup my old rightbladed Skil saw anymore.
Find someone who has one and try a few cuts.
Bob
tinder&kindling wrote:

But the chips will fly to the other side. I've been contemplating one, but just don't use a circular saw to justify the cost.

Not meaning to be a smartass but the simple answer to both questions is supply and demand.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
Lawrence Wasserman wrote:

That's a microsoft answer - correct, and totally useless...

Left hand as in lock switch for lefties? Difference, you know. My saw has the blade left, but the lock right.
I make left and right-handed spoons. Lefties buy two or more, while the righties pick up one, maybe two.
George wrote:

I didn't look at the lock. No more than I use a circular saw (haven't owned one for a few years) I doubt I would miss the lock if the saw didn't have one. I don't really like the idea of locking the power switch on for some hand tools, especially those with blades. Drills, OK, belt sander, you betcha, but 3+ inches of wicked spinning steel and carbide teeth? I'd rather it quit when I let go.
Besides, the lock is sort of like the mag release on a 1911: I'm not sure I could operate it if it were where it's supposed to be. (:

Spoon? As in eating utensil? Every one I've ever used is symetric.
How 'bout that, 0.31 seconds with google turns up all kinds of sources for something I didn't even know existed....
-j

I think he was talking about the lock that prevents the switch from accidentally being turned on or engaged. Some call it a safety. The safety is almost impossible to release on some models if the saw is used with the wrong hand.