Why a hanger bolt on corner braces, rather than screws?

I am building a large table and want to reinforce the legs/aprons with metal corner braces (there isn't room for wood).
They all show attaching to the legs with hanger bolts. That seems like a lot of trouble; why not just use screws? I will never (hopefully) be taking it apart, which seems to be the only reason for the hanger bolts.
But, it is my first big table and maybe there is a good reason I am not seeing. Thanks.
On 28/09/2006 2:24 PM, Toller wrote:

Easier to adjust for seasonal expansion and contraction?

A table is subject to racking forces and screws simply would not be large enough to hold the leg secure to the apron.
Bob S.
Toller wrote:

Well, if it's well built, it may be around longer than you and somebody else might want to move it even if you don't... :)
It's the prime reason but the other note that there's some take up provided for long term is another good reason to do it.
Like most practices that have evolved over time, there's a reason for it and it's usually best to follow common practice unless one knows of or has a specific reason to deviate.
dpb wrote:

Why would hanger bolts make it any easier to remove the legs for moving the table? Tables that I have seen still have the aprons mortised into the legs; all the hanger bolt does is fasten the corner brace to reinforce the joint.
John Siegel wrote:

I've never seen the aprons mortised into the legs when corner braces are used. The corner braces hold the legs against the butt ends of the apron under tension.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
Toller wrote:

Hanger bolts *are* big fat wood screws, but with machine threads on the exposed end, so you can secure the corner brace with a big fat washer and nut instead of having to dog a screw head all the way down. They're just easier to deal with. As far as *never (hopefully)* having to take it apart: If it turns out you *do* have to take it apart, hanger bolts make it trivial.
You may find out why when you get ready to move it and find it will not go though the door with the legs on. It happened to me.

metal
taking
Toller wrote:

Tables are big and heavy. Imagine the stress placed on the joints when it is moved from place to place, or loaded with equally heavy objects, and even climbed upon. Wood screw threads will gradually tear out the wood, given enough time. With a bolt-washer-nut combination, a little wearing away of wood under the washer is no problem to fix; just tighten the nut some more.
Mark
That argument misses. A hanger bolt is nothing more than a lag screw with removable head (nut). Try again.

Tightening the nut is much easier than moving the head on a lag screw<g>. Much easier to make fine adjustments on a machine thread than on a coarse lag screw thread.

Very true but this has nothing to do with my response to redbelly.

infrequently.

So, instead of belittling what the OP had said, why didn't you offer an alternative explanation rather than the rather trite "try again"?
If you use screws the screw holes will wear each time you remove the screw (albeit rarely), whereas the hanger bolt stays in the leg.
Dave.
CW wrote:

CW wrote:

You're right. My bad.