Whooooooo!!!! Not quite a gloat, but awesome anyhow!

Page 2 of 2
On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 11:26:15 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"

It sure is, and I may just stay right where I'm at- though I sure would like to design and build my own someday. Time will tell- and I'm not going to complain much if I never get around to it when I've got this place. Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Roger Shoaf wrote:

I'm thinking the same. I've spent a fair amount of time poking around in new construction lately, and I'm not impressed at all. Next they'll be building houses out of gobs of toilet paper and popsicle sticks.
On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 03:06:42 -0500, Silvan

I've been busy as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest lately, so this may be a little late- but I wasn't talking about paying someone else to build me a house- I was talking about literally building my own, so the er... "modern"... techniques of housebuilding are fairly irrelevant. Though I know this is a woodworking forum, I'd dearly love to make my final home out of quarried stone with nice stout oak or maple beams connected with japanese-style joinery for the interior framing. Probably not strictly necessary for a residence, but I'd dearly love to leave a home behind me that I built with my own hands that will stand for a thousand years (provided it doesn't get torn down to make room for a Wal-Mart, that is)
Everyone's got to have a goal- that one is mine :)
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

And a noble goal it is. Godspeed!
An older home with interior character, as you describe, is a great find. New homes are usually overpriced and of less durable construction. You can't hardly touch an older home in our area if it has the least hint of hardwood on the interior. Congrats.
On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 23:56:17 -0600, Prometheus wrote:

I think that this is an awesome gloat. Congratulations
-- makesawdust
Congratulations!!!
I totally understand your enthusiasm at this very significant purchase in your life. Here in our area, that would be a bargain beyond belief!
It sounds like your happiness with your new home nearly matches my own for where I am. Though all of my adult life, except for the first six months in an apartment, I've always lived in my own home (often with a mortgage as this one has), this is the first time I've lived where I chose to live. The day I looked at it (to help my son buy it, later his wife said no), I walked half way through the living/dining room and said, "If Darin and Tina don't want this house, I do!" It only got better as I went through the house, into the back yard and onto the covered patio off the garage. My childhood wasn't the best, and this was the first time in my life I ever really felt like I was home; the house wasn't/isn't just comfortable, it was/is my home, really my home. It is not something I can explain, especially since the neighborhood in which we raised our children was quite special (and just up the street and around the corner from where I now live). Later that week the realtor wrote my earnest money and turned it in with my son's withdrawal. It took nearly 19 months for me to get it (seller's side, not mine), but I held out and now it's mine. There were so many problems that, after the first two months, I posted photos on a web page and asked for prayer from our on-line support group (the house purchase started the fall after my son died); I firmly believe that the prayer helped, if only to keep me in the right state of mind. The final irony, and perhaps evidence of a master plan of which we are very unaware, of it all is that when it did finally close, it was at the absolute perfect time, for many reasons.
Many said to just get another one, but sometimes we just can't do that, so I understand totally why you didn't bargain, but grabbed it immediately! It sounds like you have something extra special and that your house deserves a loving family which it sounds like you folks shall be.
Congrats again. May your family and you have a long and happy lifetime there. :-)
Glenna
Prometheus wrote:

house
with
home,
It's
rotted
WOW!!! 75K for a shop with a Home. Major gloat to me!! Where I am can't purchase a 1/4 acre land for less than $100K. He sucketh big time.