Who said Marples chisels are any good???

Page 4 of 5

I tried to order a set from him a couple of months ago. His response was that he's back out again. He's finishing up the backlog of orders he's got and not taking any new orders.
cool!
dave
charlie b wrote:

charlie b wrote...

Hi, Charlie, and thank you for your kind words!
Roy's right. I had to stop taking orders again in October. I was able to get a few hundred chisels out over the summer but had to shut down soon after, owing once again to lack of time. I sure love making tools, but haven't yet been able to set aside enough time to it to keep pace with demand. Unfortunately, I still have other commitments that prevent me from devoting all my time to tool making. Perhaps someday...

The pages are still intact, and that's as good a start point as any. Folks interested in making their own chisels might find some useful information. The mortise chisel pages start at
www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels
Cheers!
Jim

If the demand is that great, why not do it full time? No or low profit?
Myx
Myxylplyk wrote...

Well, profit is controllable, and it could be used to moderate demand, too, but income isn't the real issue for me. It's time.
In order to keep pace with demand and maintain control of the time spent on tool making, I would have to change my methods a bit. I would need to hire employees, subcontract parts, deal with vendors, purchase and use more modern equipment and production methods, manage retail channels, and so on. In short, I'd need to start running a company again.
Now, there's nothing wrong with running a company, if that's what you want to spend your time doing, or if you are trying to earn an income. It's a great way to make a living, especially if you are a hard-working and diligent person. But it's not how I want to spend my days at this point in my life. There are too many other things I'd rather do with the time. One of them is making tools. (G)
One potential solution that I've been considering is to handle things more like an art studio than a manufacturer. Instead of taking and fulfilling orders for copies of tools that I've made in the past, I could get back to making interesting and new (to me) things, perhaps filling the occasional commission. I would like to keep the prices low enough that my tools can be purchased by folks who will actually put them to good use. Unfortunately, it's hard to do that in a cottage industry, without giving things away.
Cheers!
Jim
Charlie could not be more correct in his description of Jim Wilson & Jim's work. I was able to sneak an order in earlier this year, and the chisels Jim made for me are outstanding. Jim was also a pleasure to work with in his handling of my order and the delays due to back orders and some other glitches. The chisels Jim makes are well worth the money IMO.
Mike Dembroge

No but perhaps a bad batch may have got through inspection, If you are dealing with a reputable supplier they will probably either exchange them or give you uour money back. mjh
--

"Bay Area Dave" < snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:_gEQb.16863$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00116.asp
I bought bench chisels. this webpage says what you can use them for.
dave
Conan The Librarian wrote:

Aw, cut the poor guy some slack for change.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland

Must be one hell of a hinge, if you have to chop a mortise 3/16" deep.
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:57:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Why not ? Not unreasonable for an old cast iron hinge.
If I were using plastic-handled Marples chisels (which I would hope not to be, as they're low-end rubbish) then I'd expect a light hammer to be the appropriate thing to drive them, and I wouldn't worry too much over the bevel-edge / mortice chisel distinction.
On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:57:22 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Yes, it would be one hell of a hinge and this would be the mark of a hinge made by someone who gave a damn about how hinges should be made.
I've had the pleasure of working with a few mongers who grew such hinges and they are a rare pleasure.
Bay Area Dave wrote:

Dave, I don't usually come in on these discussions, but this time I gotta. I've got some Blue Chips - they work fine as paring chisels. I've got some Pro-touches, they're for beating on stuff with, not the same thing at all. I've got one Sorby mortise chisel, a Keen Kutter corner chisel and a handful of old mortise chisels. Each one is for a different purpose. I'm glad that your old Stanley bench chisels will work as mortise chisels, but it isn't their purpose in life. Why not use the right tools, you'll be less upset with the results. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I thought that I had, but I didn't find them to be the same quality as my blue chips so I relegated them to coarser work. What did I miss? Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
dave
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

I saw that, but that wasn't what I was saying. I never mentioned what to hit them with, just that different types of chisels are used for different purposes. I don't use hammers with chisels, mallets only. My motising and corner chisels are struck by mallets, paing chisels never are. I hope that makes it clearer. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
dave
snipped-for-privacy@fairfax.com wrote:

Bay Area Dave wrote:

Still missing my point. <Sigh> Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use: