Who's crazy idea was this?

Hey all,

I was perusing Ebay and just came across this law-suit-waiting-to-happen item. It's a craftsman radial arm miter saw. It's a sliding compound miter saw that has a radial arm instead. The poor sap who used this saw before mounted the blade the wrong way. He/she dangerously mounted it against the direction of rotation. Some people should just stay away from power tools.....

Anonymous

> Layne

Looks like it has been used in that condition also, as the blade seems to have been over-heating a bit! Probebly the reason for sale! (not cutting very well :-)

Reply to
Rizla99

The part I really liked was "the Craftsman name assures you of the finest quality" !

Doug Miller

That must be the RAS that the guy on WoodWorking always refers to but you never see.

> Layne

Reply to
Leon

You can cut thin metal with a wood saw blade turned around (non-carbide blade). I've read about it several times. It's supposed to be VERY LOUD and produces a lot of sparks (clean out your sawdust first). Maybe that's what the saw was being used for.

Ya think?

Reply to
tastbits

Ya, that does look bad, but some people use blades like that for cutting through sheetmetal or plastics. Although I definetly would remove or turn the blade before selling!

Reply to
Bryan

That is very common with screen cage installers, so is that type of saw. Cutting aluminum doesn't really "spark".

Reply to
Gfretwell

Leon,

I wouldn't even recommend "that" RAS!

Reply to
Rumpty

What's even crazier is the 11 bidders on this jewel of yankee engineering!!!

Reply to
Mike

I don't know. The seller says the saw was used in the building of a house. Steel framed maybe? I'm just amazed if no one was hurt using the saw with the blade mounted like that!

Layne

Reply to
Anonymous

Reply to
Anonymous

That's the preferred way of cutting vinyl soffets. The backwards rotation cuts the plastic smoothly without grabbing and chipping. I've done the same on my RAS and on my circular saw when I put up soffets on my house and a friends house.

Then again, the person using may not have known any better. ;-)

Robert

> Layne

Reply to
2manytoyz