Who Manufactures WHAT?

Page 3 of 3

I'm not in the market for a saw, so didn't pay much attention to saws. I did look at a couple planers and a lathe. Can't imagine why they wouldn't sell, everything seemed like it could anchor the Queen Mary. Stuff just Looks solid.

Nobody buys the "real" General tools because they cost too darn much! Not because nobody stocks them. Really, really nice tools, but just too expensive for the average joe.
The 14" planer made in Canada is $3189 in the current promo. They have a chiwanese 20" for $1999 or a chiwanese 15" for $1099.
A General 650/350 table saw is $1999 on sale while a Unisaw can be had for $1499 and General International 250 is around $1100 or even less.
I have a Canadian General drill press bought in 2002 or 2003. The manual was revised in 1976! The design is quite old and for the $800 or so I paid doesn't even have a lifting mechanism like a $350 chiwanese drill press.
Brian Elfert

Lots of General stuff (not necessarily General International), is sold to a different clientele than the home shop guy.
The dealer I bought my 650 from (Tools Plus, Waterbury, CT) has two floors. The main floor is typical retail & contractors stuff, with some Jet, Delta, and GI iron sprinkled in. The downstairs stuff is limited to 6" and smaller jointers, benchtop tools, contractor saws, and _maybe_ some Jet and Delta cabinet saws.
The second floor, the floor most hobbyists don't know exist, is where the big, heavy, and cool stuff is. I shopped at TP for years without knowing there *was* a second floor, as the stairway is behind the counter. <G> Upstairs, he's got massive table saws, wide belt sanders, 20" disc sanders, _BIG_ band saws, 8 bag DC's, etc... from Powermatic, General, and some industrial only brands. Upstairs, DJ-20's and G650's look *small*! <G>
We also have some local tool dealers who don't usually advertise to the retail clientele. These guys will often deal with you, but they won't be located in the strip mall. Industrial tool dealers are often located in industrial parks, without retail window dressing, and sometimes with no means to accept credit cards. These guys will usually try to make an appointment with you, so that the proper salesperson will be there when you arrive. You can expect them to know every nut and bolt of the tools you're investigating, but you won't get a free router with your purchase. You'll get boutique treatment, possibly including setup, delivery, and after sale support... for a price. The second type of dealer is often listed on manufacturer webs sites,and in publications like "Woodshop News".
Barry
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 07:05:04 GMT, Lobby Dosser

It says "my" Woodcraft in Tucson has them, but I've never seen a General product in the store.
Back when I was shopping for a CS I emailed the one (at the time) listed AZ distributor and never even got a reply.

There is a local dealer that has General on the floor where I live. Not sure if they has a 650, but there was a bunch of General on the floor. Greg
On Sat, 26 Nov 2005 01:55:50 GMT, evodawg

corded models all machined parts from U. S. Assembly only transitioned to Mexico. may not all be there yet.

Unisaw - Assembled and painted in the U.S. Motor from Brazil, starter from Taiwan, some cast iron from the far east, some domestic, (table and wings are U. S. cast and machined) all sheet metal fabricated and welded in the U.S. All extrusions and blow molded components from U.S. suppliers. All turned steel components from U. S. factories.
HD Shaper series - same thing.
14" Band Saw high end models same thing except the motor is from AO Smith.
All radial arm saws same thing except for higher percentage of U. S. castings (at the present time) and U. S. made motors.
Line boring Machines, same thing.
Unifence - all U.S. made
Biesemeyer - All U. S. Made.