Who makes J.E. Moser's finishing products sold at woodworker.com ?

Does anyone know who actually makes J.E. Moser's finishing products? I would be pressed to imagine that a cataolg sales company actually makes it. I happen to like some of these products and was wondering if I'm actually using some other branded name.

Thanks for your thoughts

Reply to
woods

J.E. Moser is a house brand name that I believe is owned by Woodworkers Supply. There are a number of manufacturers supplying product to them under that label. I don't know who manufactures what.

Reply to
jev

Platte River Engineering , 1108 North Glenn Rd, Casper, NY 82601 - it is printed on the label

Reply to
Rosalie

Platte River Engineering is the manufacturing subsidiary of Woodworking Supply

Reply to
Rosalie

If I remember correctly J.E. Moser products were originally only available directly from J.E.Moser by mail order. This was a while ago, and I have been known to have senior moments :-) Then Woodworkers Supply started carrying them. I think this was pre internet. At that time it was Woodworkers Supply of New Mexico. Later they opened other stores. I think one was in North Carolina, and at least one other, but I don't remember where.

Reply to
Dan Kozar

On 01/15/2015 1:28 PM, Dan Kozar wrote: ...

I never heard of 'em until started getting the printed catalogs from Woodworkers Supply. I believe they got the name/address via Fine Woodworking/Taunton Press from my first subscription. That goes quite a long ways back; indeed before the 'net as we now know it; I _think_ it was not too long after the move from VA to TN which was '68.

Anyways, won't say there wasn't some other distribution prior to that, but surely that's first (and only) place from which I've ever seen the brand name.

I've done searches in the past trying to find the info as well just out of curiosity and never found anything other than the tie to WW-Supply.

Their other physical location is Caspar, WY.

Reply to
dpb

On 01/15/2015 3:37 PM, dpb wrote: ...

Typo...that was '78, not '68.

dpb

replying to woods, tinkerabit wrote: Sounds like Rosalie has it. All I can say is that it is incredible what a little antique cherry dye does to a piece of poplar

Reply to
tinkerabit

Red paint works wonders on cherry too. Makes it look like poplar with red paint.

Reply to
krw

I know who... It was originally formed by a man named John Moser. I apprenticed under him in New Mexico,,,, great guy... He eventually sold the company and retired in Albuquerque, loved flying radio control airplanes. He took a position as my mentor in a small cabinet shop, Searcy's Woodworking and Cabinets, where we did high-end custom cabinets and remodeling..... I learned a lot from John, I haven't talked to him in years though.....

Reply to
billy6699

John Moser is his name. He started the brand himself and then later successfully sold the company and retired. He moved to Albuquerque NM. where he ended up taking a position as my mentor at Searcy's Woodworking and Cabinet shop where I learned everything I could about finishing. Great guy who knew a lot of chemistry and loved to fly radio controlled airplanes.

Reply to
billy6699