Who Has the Cool Outfeed Table?

Page 2 of 2
Leon wrote:

I hear that. It *has* to go up and down easily, because of the limited space I have... for that same reason, it's just too easy for it to turn into another workspace that has to be cleared off in order to use the tool.
--

-MIKE-

I don't know about cool but it's a big table in two pieces and can handle an entire sheet of plywood on the table through the entire cut. It does require a fair amount if room.
http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-638867.html http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-639331.html
It was a short article in FWW a few years back and I made a "version" of my own.
Not too difficult and very flexible.
-MIKE- wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-638867.html

http://home.att.net/~mboceanside/wsb/html/view.cgi-photo.html--SiteID-639331.html

That's the one! Yes, Pat, it's very cool. The cool part is how it's extendable like that. What I need to do, however, is make the whole assembly hinge down against the saw, out of the way.
Now I have the "baseline" of my idea, so I'll combine it with the good from everything else posted and see what I come up with.
Thanks for reading and posting.
--

-MIKE-

It is designed to fold up at the saw table.
Both tables fold into one another.
I'll try to find that FWW article...
-MIKE- wrote:

I have one of these. Thinking about getting a second one . Use it around all sides of machinery as required . I cut a a piece of plywood to use as a tabletop. It has two boards screwed onto the bottom that fit tightly between the end rollers to keep the top from moving.
http://www.general.ca/site_general/accessories/universal/50-167e.html
Ldb
-MIKE- wrote:

LdB wrote:

Good idea. But in my case, once it's a tabletop, it's a tabletop, you know? :-)
--

-MIKE-

I built one very simular to this one,
http://www.wooddreams.net/images/Big_Images/Shop/Shop/24outfeed_table.JPG
The biggest differance was I used a full 4'x8' sheet of melimine, and edged the table with 1'x3' pine to stiffen it up. My table is as wide as the saw, with the 52" inch fence, about 7 feet. With the table up I have a work surface ao about 7'x7'. The table folds down, and adds only about 12" to the depth of the saw. I had built a outfeed table when my saw had just a 32" fence, and built it out of a 4'x4' sheet of melemine, but always cussed the "notched" out corner. .

How did you mount the outfeed to the table? Did you drill holes in the bottom of the L angle iron?
Best, Christopher

I mounted an angle to the rear of the saw's table and screwed the top to it from underneath. Where the out feed table meets the extension table I used a strip of 2"x1/8" steel strap and overlapped the two tables and screwed then to the strap from underneath. The legs are some 1" square tubing with 3/4" threaded rod couplers welded on, with 3/4" threaded rod for adjustable feet screwed into the coupling. The legs are mounted to the table with two pieces of angle iron each with a bolt through them so the legs can hinge up, out of the way. A couple of supports hold the legs at 90 degrees when the table is in use. Similar to these, http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?pageB9&filter=lid%20support I have the whole saw on a mobile base I made. the frame is on four casters, and I have two more 3/4" threaded rods I can screw down to the floor to keep the saw in place. The out feed table will hinge down and almost hit the floor. That is one thing to watch out for when you cut the out feed table pieces, make sure you cut the table narrow enough so it will not hit the floor! Greg

Oh, OK. Did the angle iron have slots instead of round holes so you could adjust the hieght where the saw table meets the outfeed table? Or, did you use some type of shim?
Best, Christopher

I clamped the angle where I thought it should go, marked the holes and drilled them oversize for some adjustment. Greg

That's how Delta does it.
--

-MIKE-

Thanks. That's much simpler than the concepts I was trying to flesh out.
Couple more quick questions.
Is there support for the outfeed section? I was expecting to see a support member from the bottom of the table saw (or from the floor) to the outfeed/extension hinge, but I don't see any support in the photo at the hinge (apologies if this was already discussed above).
There is no hole in the outfeed table for a blade guard. Do you use a blade guard that does not require space in the back of the table saw?
Best, Christopher

I forgot about the to supports that mount right before the hinge in the table, and run down at an angle to the base of the saw. As for the blade guard, I used a hole saw and bored a hole so I can mount the blade gaurd, at least I did on my first version, I have not done so on my current table. I probalby should, but I am one of those rebels that does not use a blade gaurd very often any way! Greg O

Mike
I can't remember where I saw it, maybe shopnotes, but there was an article about the outfeed table very similar to the one Greg built. IIRC it connected to the back of the saw with dowels that had corresponding holes in the saw. The legs folded like a card table and on the bottom of each leg there were sliding levelers that the user clamped with spring clamps. It seemed to be able to connect / disconnect very easy. Maybe an idea.
Or you could just do what I do is use my rolling work table - NYW. And every time I need to use move all the stuff that was on another flat surface in the shop that I had to move to use that.
Larry C

The leveling concept is something which I really need to incorporate, since I'm working in a garage with a sloped floor. My SCM portable stand has great legs on the roller extensions that quickly and easily adjust for leveling them.

That's what I've done in the past, with my much smaller table saw. It's one reason I want this to be quickly and easily folded down out of the way. I figure it has to be easier to put down, out of the way than it is to put stuff on it for working. :-) That's one of the reasons the roller concept intrigues me.
--

-MIKE-

<snip>: : The leveling concept is something which I really need to incorporate, : since I'm working in a garage with a sloped floor. My SCM portable stand : has great legs on the roller extensions that quickly and easily adjust : for leveling them. <snip>:
I have the same problem with my garage floor. For my shop made stuff I have been using elevator bolts on the bottom of the legs and they work just fine. My local Ace HW carries them. If you're unfamiliar with them look here http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N9600009 Art
Artemus wrote:

Yes, I'm very familiar with them. Tangent.....
I needed some for a project. Went to Lowes to look in their special fasteners bins. Found a separate drawer labeled, "elevator bolts." Opened drawer.. nothing inside.
Asked the hardware "associate" if they had any. He said no, they don't carry them. I pointed to the drawer and said, "sure you do, look." He said, "yeah, I see the drawer, but they don't stock those any more." I said, "well, how about you take the label off the drawer." "Oh, we're not allowed." "Why" "They don't like having blank labels." "So, they'd rather have empty drawers that piss off the customers?"
Now, *every* timer I go to Lowes, I walk down that aisle, open that drawer and ask where the elevator bolts are. Sooner or later, they'll take the label off. :-)
--

-MIKE-

What kind of saw do you have?
jtpr wrote: