Who are the masters you'd apprentice under?

I have decided I would like to try to find an apprenticeship somewhere for a year or two, if I can find the right circumstance. I would like to train under someone really well respected, such as many did in the old days, under the likes of a Krenov.

I would like to find someone who does a fair bit of built-ins and millwork and such as well as just furniture. High end libraries and such really interest me. I prefer more traditional work than the modern or very artistic mediums.

I have made a small list of the people I have heard about so far, and I have had decent responses from those I have contacted. I would like others input into masters in your area I could perhaps contact...I am not too concerned about where the location is, more the person and the work being done. Anywhere in North America is easy, and I would even consider something in Great Britain or near there.

I figure I am relatively young, and I have no ties to keep me from venturing for a while, so I should take advantage of this ability. I would prefer a situation that would pay me enough of a wage to cover basic living expenses, but I would also consider non-paying situations as well. I don't think I like the idea of paying someone a big sum to work for them, I think with some exceptions those circumstances are a bit of a scam, or only for the young very inexperienced.

I know how good I am, and I know how good I'd like to be....I plan to make sure I get there.

Thanks in advance to all those that contribute info.

Dan Hamill Atlantic Canada

Reply to
Dan Hamill

Thu, Apr 22, 2004, 12:30am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nb.sympatico.ca.nospam (Dan=A0Hamill) says: I have decided I would like to try to find an apprenticeship somewhere for a year or two,

In my case, it would be a tossup between apprenticing to Red Green or Ron Jeremy.

JOAT The Good are Innocent so they invented Justice. The Evil are Guilty so they invented Mercy.

- Unknown

Reply to
J T

I don't know if he takes apprentices but my choice would be Tom Plamman. He has a website, if you DAGS you'll find it. The guy's work is phenomenal and seems to be exactly the kind of thing you're looking for.

Reply to
Donnie Vazquez

If he could pay me enough to live (ie. some, but not much), I'd apprentice for Ian Kirby tomorrow. He tells it like it is, is very well written, and appears to have had extensive practical experience. That'd be enough for me.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

Tom has my vote too. I've seen the magazines, TV shows etc and ther are certainly a lot of talented folks out there but there is something about Tom's work that just really humbles me. I would love the opportunity to try my hand at the type of work he does. Strangely enough though, I also love building custom, one-off types of smaller furniture pieces like tables and cabinetry.

This makes me think that another thread might be in order some day. Some thing along the lines of the 'types' of woodworking and associated topics like -

Can you get really good at more than 1 type of woodworking, or do most people specialize ? Are there really types or catagories e.g. architectural, cabinetry, furniture, etc ? Or are they all really the same skillset with just a different personal preference or frame of mind ?

See what I'm getting at ? Sort of puts me in mind of a recent topic comparing a the cabinetmaker and carpenter titles. ( Actually I'm just rambling - just got off an airplane and happy I get to sleep in my own bed this week after traveling for the last 4 weeks.)

jim bailey

Reply to
Jim Bailey

Michael Fortune Darryl Keil Andrew Crawford

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I recognize the first two, who is Andrew Crawford?

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Thanks.....they are good examples. I agree with most that Tom Plamann is who I would pick as my first choice, and I have been in contact and will be considered when he has his next opening. I have also been in contact and was close to going to work with David Marks.

I would love more examples of choices if people have them. I am enrolled in a class at Rosewood Studio in May, so hopefully I can get some information and contacts there as well.

Thanks again all,

Dan

Reply to
Dan Hamill

Mark & Juanita wrote: : In article , : snipped-for-privacy@ptah.u.arizona.edu says... :> :> Michael Fortune :> Darryl Keil :> Andrew Crawford :>

: I recognize the first two, who is Andrew Crawford?

A superb boxmaker. See:

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

Yep, can't disagree with that. Very nice stuff. Thanks for the link.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yep Tom gets my first choice. Ya think we may convince him in holding classes or getting his own TV show?

Reply to
dteckie

If he were alive, George Nakashima. He has a daughter, I'm sure she learned a great deal from her father.

Otherwise, Christian Becksvoort, Seth Janovski (learned from James Krenov) Gary Rogowski.

If architectural stuff was my interest, Tom Plamann.

Reply to
Lazarus Long