White spirits?

Does this translate to mineral spirits in American language?
ROY!
I believe so. What we call mineral spirits are completely clear and void of any color.
Charley

"Charley" wrote...

Yes: euro "white spirits" = 'murican "mineral spirits" = Stoddard solvent.
Of course, there are a lot of colorless paint thinners besides mineral spirits: naphtha, acetone, toluene, xylene, mineral turps.
-- Timothy Juvenal www.tjwoodworking.com

as an 'murican "white spirits" would be confusing- might mean paint thinner (mineral spirits) but might mean white gas (petrol) or even alcohol.
Sun, Dec 23, 2007, 2:40pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@valid.com (ROY!) doth query: Does this translate to mineral spirits in American language?
Hah, don't believe I've heard the term 'white spirits' since I was a kid. Probably like so many things, would depend on who was saying it what it means. As a kid i've heard moonshine referred to on occasion as 'shite spirits' - but that was by old time moonshiners, not always retired from it.
JOAT My memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be.