White Spirits

Someone asked what white spirits is. I don't know what it is. Mineral spirits? They referenced the term as being used in England/ Britain.
Sonny

It's what we use for thinning oil paints and cleaning brushes, a cheaper version of turpentine. Sometimes called turps substitute. I don't know what you would call it in the US.
Tim W
On 9/14/10 3:47 PM, Tim W wrote:

Possibly Coleman fuel for camp stoves/lanterns etc., I have heard that referred to as White Gas.
--
Froz...

"Tim W" wrote:

------------------------------- You can buy both "Mineral Spirits" and "Paint Thinner" in the USA.
Both are less expensive than turps and are distillate based.
Lew

Are they the same thing?
Tim w
Tim W wrote:

Not quite. IIRC, paint thinner is slightly less refined but for practical purposes, they are the same.
--

dadiOH

"more or less", some less-so than others. <grin>
They are both "light petroleum distallate" based products, Mineral spirits is a fairly specific formulation, while "paint thinner" allows considerable variance, and may include some measure of 'other stuff' as well.
For many uses, they are effectively interchangable.
mineral spirits _does_ burn somewhat 'cleaner'.

'Spiritus' in The Netherlands is denatured alcohol. Related? Dunno. Mixed with green soap, it is used for cleaning justabout everything.

'Shine.