White Oak Bar-B-Q

It was actually cool here in Texas last night. Started the offset firebox smoker early this morning, fired exclusively with white oak scraps from a years worth of projects, and put on about 40 lbs of beef and pork ribs. I know some folks don't like oak for smoking, and I generally use pecan or mesquite, but I just grabbed a test rib and it was very sweet tasting.
Expensive smoking wood at $7+/bf, but at that price at least nothing is going to waste.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
"J T" wrote in message

Had a lot of scraps to get rid of, so I am going to have to look for a small army to feed as it is.

Give it about two more hours ... then come on down.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

Good work Swingman, I too use my hardwood scraps (not exotics)in a similar manner. After scraps get too small to use for kids toys, I save them for making a paella (enough for 60 people) which I do for an annual get together every July. Started on next year's kindling already. Happy BBQ.
Jack

firebox

Here ya go ... Enjoy ... ;>)
http://65.201.81.222/Files/ribs.jpg
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 7/10/04
Swingman wrote:

Have you been out to Pitts N Spits? They sell a rub that is fantastic on any meat you do on the grill or smoker.
For smoking, I generally toss some mesquite on top of oak when I first put he meat in. After an hour I wrap all the meat in tin foil to preserve the juices and use plain ole oak from that point.

Talk to a timber framer. A smallish job will produce half-a-dozen sacks of short grain oak offcuts, trimmed beams, cheeks from tenons etc. They're useless for anything other than the very smallest of boxes, but they're great for firewood or (this time of year) barbecue timber.
--
Smert' spamionam

All us wreckers would do well to also subscribe to alt.food.barbecue. I've learned a lot there, as well as here.
There's already a lot of crossover.-jbb

Quater sawn or plain sawn. I here it makes a diff in the taste :))