White Oak and Iron

Hello, I am making a window of white oak and have not yet decided on the hardware: Is it good practice to use zinc coated steel with oak or whill I have to use brass hinges for the window? This window will sit in a cellar wall and it will become wet at times.
Greetings, Juergen
Juergen Hannappel wrote:

Even perfectly coated ferrous metals get pinholes or come with pinholes. I'd stick with non-ferrous hinges unless you've got a real love for black stains.

Even if you aren't worried about black stains, the brass hinges won't rust like the steel ones inevitably will.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Unless, of course, they're simply brass-plated w/ a steel pin, that is... :)
Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

Given a choice, I'd use BRONZE.
Sooner or later, the zinc in the brass will leach out and what is left disintegrates right before your eyes.
Basic reason brass is considered a no-no on a boat, especially a boat in salt water.
Lew