white mineral oil.. brand name

ive been trying to get my hands on some plain old white mineral oil for my maple butcher block, but cant seem to find any and i get funny looks at the stores even though i know it exists...
can someone help me out here? what should i put on my maple butcher block that i dont have to special order? brand names welcome.
randy
Olive oil, pecan oil.

the

Both of these can go rancid. Mineral oil will not. Admittedly, I have used olive oil in a pinch.
On the original question: Go to a pharamacy.
is it realy just this simple? i use lots of vegie oils on different woods just for the look, but i usually wax over it. and i really didnt know if there wasnt some health reason not to use it..
randy

my
block
Vegetable oils have a different mix of oleates, acids and lipids in them. Most never cross-link or "cure" as nut oils like walnut will. As to rancidity, that's a result of incomplete oxidation. If you put a plate on a freshly vegetable oiled surface, you may find that the oil underneath will smell bad after a few days. It'll clear up, like the rest, if you give it air. That's why cutting boards are bad candidates for vegetable oil, one side is always oxygen deprived.
Now, ask yourself -concerning mineral oil - do you really want a non-drying oil to give refuge to bacteria with standard hydrophobic lipid-loving cell exteriors? If not, use a detergent to sneak the water in and break the cell walls. Of course that'll wash away the mineral oil, so ... get the picture? It only looks good when it's doing ill.
Go bare or use a curing (nut) oil if you're using the block. Treat as furniture, else.

xrongor wrote:

Try your local pharmacy. They should have it.
Tim
--
No BoomBoom for me! - snipped-for-privacy@BoomBoomVerizon.net

Ask your pharmacist. It will be in his area of the supermarket.

the
yeah, ill try a real pharmacy tomorrow. the supermarket only had scented stuff.
thx randy

my
block
It's in the laxative section. No, really it is. It's primary use is a laxative.
--
"Cartoons don't have any deep meaning.

the
Unscented baby oil. Available in most pharmacies.

I've never seen unscented baby oil anywhere and I've been looking for months.
OTOH, heavy mineral oil is easy to find. It's with the laxatives.
--

FF

I bought mine at a local drug store (Canadian Drug store), generic brand.
Fri, Mar 5, 2004, 5:04am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spammyspam.com (xrongor) claims: ive been trying to get my hands on some plain old white mineral oil <snip>
That might be your problem, asking for "white" mineral oil. Ask for unscented mineral oil. My grocery store has it.
Never heard of white mineral oil.
JOAT That the peope have a right to bear arms for the defense of themselves and the state. - Pennsylvania Constitution of 1776
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKEVOCALS /

the
Brand names? Most I've seen is private label. I got mine from Rite Aid and it has their label. It is available at Wal Mart, K-Mart, the supermarket, etc. Look in the area of laxatives and such.
As for the funny looks, you are either running into the typical high school dropout made stockboy or you forgot to comb your hair this morning. Ed
just go to a drug store. don't worry about brand names
dave
xrongor wrote:

Go to local drug store, buy bottle of mineral oil. Job done
John