white glue vs wood glue

Greetings, I am building 2 dozen mitered wooden frames out of straight, cheap white wood. I have done this before using white glue, and could handle the frames and drill out the corners for pins after 30 minutes of clamping with a strap clamp. Today I am using wood glue (elmer's) and after 30 minutes of clamping the joints won't even hold the weight of the wood. Is this typical of wood glue vs white glue? -- clh
Well, my wife tells me a) I'm a bone head, and b) I used wood glue stick in a hot glue gun, which explains why I was able to work with it in 1/2 hour. Cheers!
marcus wrote:

Aren't they the same thing?
SP
### http://www.briandunnettandsons.co.nz http://www.clocksandbarometers.co.nz http://www.nitro.gen.nz ###
If you are talking about glues like titebond and elmer's then it is my understanding they are both Polyvinyl acetates except that titebond has a resin for moisture. Try a clamping time of > 1 hour?

Allow the glue to cure overnight, preferably with the clamps in place.
Phisherman wrote:

THanx -- but I have 24 of these to glue. I will try titebond and glamp for 30-40 minutes I think, then 24 hours before drilling.

try using masking tape for the clamps. then you can have an infinite number of clamps....
marcus wrote:

I personally don't like Elmer's...I know, it should be the same as any other but it just doesn't seem to work as well as the yellow aliphatic glues. 30-40 minutes should be plenty if you handle them carefully, assuming the glue is not old (is it stringy? -- if so, throw it out and get fresh) or not too cold where you're working (if it's <50, it just won't dry and hold even if new).
This is a good application for a small brad nailer...
There are also formulations for trim work that are somewhat thicker and quicker setup time that would be good for such an application...
I don't think it's the glue. Normally, 30 minutes would be enough, but a miter joint is basically gluing end grain to end grain joint and that males it a weak joint, so it probably needs longer. Try waiting maybe an hour before taking off the clamps and then moving the joint only gently, preferably just sliding it on a table and not picking it up and asking it to hold weight. After 24 hours the glue is probably as strong as it's going to get so you should be able to pick it up. I would wait that long before trying to drill it.