Which wood is in, which wood is out?

[...]

In

(Prunus avium and Prunus serotina) are listed as cherry, the difference being the distribiution P. avium in europe, P. serotina in northern america. Do the P. serotina trees produce edible/delicius fruit? With regard to the original question of the color they¹ say: "Heartwood basically brown to red to yellow to white or grey.", i.o.w. many possibilities, so color doesn't tell...

¹)H. G. Richter and M. J. Dallwitz (2000 onwards). Commercial timbers: descriptions, illustrations, identification, and information retrieval. In English, French, German, and Spanish. Version: 18th October 2002.
Juergen Hannappel

(Are you saying there is a relationship between hemlines and wood? )

A short hemline can give me a woodie!

Reply to
Sawdust225

Juergen Hannappel schreef

Let's be real esoteric and refer to Holz aktuell, Heft 5/1985 p7-35

The fruit universally known as cherry is from Prunus avium (with some Prunus cerasus thrown in).

The wood sold as cherry is almost all Prunus serotina. Why? Because you just can't get the wood of Prunus avium (beyond the occasional tree here and there). Prunus avium is grown for the fruit and these days that means little trees (with no merchantable wood), while Prunus serotina is grown only for the wood. However the reputation of cherry as a timber (including the famous "cherry stain") was made by Prunus avium.

With both the fruit known as "cherry" and the reputation as a timber coming from Prunus avium there is no doubt in my mind as to what is the real cherry.

As to why a tree does not become a "cherry" by calling it Black cherry and abbreviating it, may I suggest looking at Australia's She Oak, Silk Oak and Tasmanian Oak, none of which are oaks. Lets not get into the mahoganies, with Philippine mahogany, Burma mahogany, etc. PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

On 15 Nov 2003 09:12:38 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) brought forth from the murky depths:

I call it "reddish brown shit", or RBS for short.

It's plum purty, that's what it is.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Or "tulip-poplar," which is neither a tulip nor a poplar.

P. serotina produces an astringent fruit only a bird could love. With some sweet, makes a strong-flavored jelly or a tasty wine/cordial.

Reply to
George

Nah, not me. Not really. Sure, I like looking at'em, but IME women who wear stuff like that look good and damn well know it. They learned from childhood how to manipulate the male of the species, and they use that fact to their advantage ruthlessly. We're nothing more than meat to them.

(Or so I tell myself every time I try not to get depressed when I look at SWMBO. ;)

Reply to
Silvan