Which wood for outdoor project?

My parents want me to build them a bench.

This bench will be put outdoors where it will be snowed on and face extreme heat in direct sunlight.

They want it painted white.

What wood should I use?

What tips do you have to make the paint hold up as long as possible?

Thanks!

Reply to
renicker

I would make the part that touches the ground out of .8cca PT and the upper parts from cedar.

Reply to
Greg

This is a jobs that has Redwood written all over it.

Not sure about the white paint. Would they consider natural red wood?

I built a red wood picnic table over 25 years ago that is still in service in NE Ohio. (Lots of snow and crap in the winter).

HTH

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Good woods for outdoor projects which are not too difficult to find include cedar, cypres, white oak (not red oak), or teak.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Ketchum

Teak, White oak, cypress, cedar, redwood are all good outdoor woods. My last choice is PT pine, but that will work too (I dislike the chemicals in it and it is usually wet wood which needs to dry before finishing). Use a quality outdoor wood primer and paint. Expect the paint to last 3-5 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

If you're going to paint it, use cherry.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Cedar with Sikens marine sealer.