Which way do jointer knives go in?

Ok, I took the knives out now I can figure out which direction their suppose to face when I put them back in. I think it's bevel on the back side not on the cutting side right?
Bevel back. Hope you didn't distort the cutterhead. Tom Someday, it'll all be over....

good question. I ran out to my jointer to check; it's bevel away from the direction of rotation. if you are looking at the jointer from the operator's point of view, the head rotates clockwise and the bevel would be towards the outfeed table when the blade is at 12 o'clock.
dave
LostInSpace wrote:

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:23:36 GMT, "LostInSpace"

bevel on the backside. but you should have looked before removing them. you only replace one knife at a time.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
"... you only replace one knife at a time."

it may have changed but you are supposed to have another set and remove a knife replace it and work your way around. this keeps the tension even and keeps warping from happening. but maybe that was bull it's been awhile since I read a jointer manual.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
It has to do with possible warping of the cutterhead, should you torque up a knife with nothing else in the other slots.

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:23:36 GMT, "LostInSpace"

bevel facing the outfeed table, sharp edge facing the infeed table
That's what I thought. Now it's time to take apart the piano...

*THAT* takes "forte"-tude.
Sharp side up, of course ;)
--randy