Which type of saw

I am new to this so if this is a silly question - pardon me
I am considering investing into a saw and wonder if I should go with a portable chop saw or a portable table saw. The table saw can rip which I don't think a chop saw can do so I am leaning that way. So the question is pretty simple. If you could only have one - which is more versatile and useful. A chop saw or a table top saw?
if you can recommend what to look for - what brands to avoid; which to show preference, I would appreciate it.
thanx in advance - Don
Table Saw.
--
Young Carpenter

show
Definitely go with a table saw. As for brands, well there are a million and one opinions here. If it has to be portable then that rules out the Delta Unisaw which is widely regarded as one of the best in this newsgroup.
Most people say to avoid Craftsman too it seems.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski, RN. BNurs. QUT, PGCert(CCU) Editor, Computer Pilot Magazine. The Monthly Magazine for Desktop Pilots & Flight Simulation Enthusiasts http://www.computerpilot.com
PC Aviator - The Flight Simulation Company Providing Flight Simulation Hardware & Software for Over 12 Years! http://www.pcaviator.com.au (Australasian Customers) http://www.pcaviator.com (U.S., Canadian and International Customers)
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:55:56 -0400, "Don Simard"

table saw for sure.
as for make or model of portable saw. . .well, i would advise against a portable period. but, ryobi makes a "portable" that's got some pretty advanced features, the BT3100 other than that, i would say maybe a dewalt portable, or a makita. . .
save your cash and get a decent contractors style saw...mush more stable and a bit easier to achieve accurate cuts on one.
Traves
Why the portable issue??? If the portability of the saw is the main concern it brings in a different set of standards then a "portable" saw that is used in one place 90% of the time or is on rollers to move around the shop. The most versatile portable electric saw is probably the saber saw, I can't think of any type of cut it won't make. I would hate to depend on one for ripping boards though. A small RAS will do the job of both the table and chop saw and is "portable", but not easy to move around. Could you give us a bit more information on what you are going to do with the saw, so that better feedback is possible.

show
Don Simard wrote:

==================================================================Well Don IF you would give the rest of the newsgroup your intended use of the saw it really would help....
The word "portable" gives me the "chills" when mentioned along with a table saw... I think in terms of under powered a less then fair fence etc...
IF I had to purchase only one saw gee I guess it would be a circular saw plus a good straight edge and some clamps.
Sorry but you just have to tell us your intended uses...
I own Table, Band, Miter, Radial, Circular, Reciprocating, Jig, Scroll, and a variety of Hand....SAWS.... But I just can not answer your question...
Bob Griffiths