Which to buy?

I know I know...:) Since we have decided to return to the USA, I have been think (Man alive how I have been thinking!!!) about what I am going to get to refit my new shop. I must say that SWMBO in perfect because I told her, "Sweetie, I am going to need all new tools...since I am selling all of these."

So now I am wondering, Unisaw or the Jet Xacta? If I go thru Amazon, I get free shipping and the price isn't scary. BTW I'll have about $6000 to spend. (I know OH BOY!!!!!)

Any suggestions...

Oh I know have a craftsman which has been tweaked which is pretty good compared to the table saws here in New Zealand.

Cheers (thanks) John

Reply to
John Gilham/Patsy Scott

Toss in the General to make it more interesting. They are all good saws. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski responds:

Grizzly, Shop Fox, Woodtek.

Just to complicate the search.

Charlie Self

Consider the Powermatic 66. This tablesaw is top-notch, precision built made in the USA.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've said it before, and your situation is the perfect example. Think resale value when purchasing. We like to think we will never sell our equipment, but... That IMO excludes the Jet, but includes the Unisaw and Powermatic 66. The General is a distant 3rd, having nothing to do with the saw, but everything to do with market share and perception. Unless you are selling in Canada.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

My plan of attack would be to wait until you relocate then visit all of the powertool retail outlets in your area to determine which you like best. I would then make sure you meet the management and explain your situation. I wouldn't expect to get a huge discount, but rather set expectations about the kind of service you need. I would discuss thing like what happend if one of the major tools arrives damaged and how they would handle the quick replacment. Buying locally, and knowing the store management, can be a huge long-term advantage. I would trade that for a few dollars savings upfront any day.

Reply to
RWM