which Table saw for $500 or less?

Hello,
I am a beginner woodworker, and I use for the moment a $100 RYOBY table saw, it has the following issues: - the table is too small (12" on both side of the fence) for any serious work - the fence is small and not 90 (although it locks good) - I can not get a 0 clearance insert for it - miter is worthless - it's noisy and vibrates a lot...
I was thinking of upgrading, and I have a budget of around $500, what are your recommendations?
regards, cyrille
Jet Jim

I have a Jet I picked up for around that price and have no complaints.
The latest issue of WWJ recommends the Rigid saw for about that price.
Factor in the cost of a good blade that you probably not get with any saw you choose.
Take a look at Grizzly. They will provide phone numbers of a couple of folks in their area with similar equipment. Pretty helpful if you can't get to one of their showrooms.
I have had one of their 1023 series cabinet saws for years and love it.
RonBH
What about Delta?
I'm buying soon, also with a 500$ budget. I've settled on the Delta 36-675 ($499 on amazon.com with free delivery). But there is a Sears Hardware going out of business up the street that has a 679$ hybrid table saw currently priced at 15% off. If it's still in the store when it hits 30% off (under 500$), it's mine.

I would never buy Sears. Give that saw a year and you'll never find parts. Also, find any aftermarket accessories for a Delta or Jet and just see if it will fit on a Craftsman w/o some special modification. I bought a Powermatic 64A which is a polished brother to the Jet CS and I have difficulty with the after market stuff - I can't imagine what it would be like with a Craftsman.
Pay now or pay later...

Thanks for the advice.

Save up until you have another $250 or so. Then get a Delta, Jet, Ridgid, or a few others in that price point that are solid and have very good fences. Read the latest WWJournal for some good information.
General or King...
very nice saw at a affordable price! (I just bought a general 50-175)
Christian

a used saw. look for something older than you and heavier than you.
Cyrille de Brbisson wrote:

If you can up your $500 to about $600 I highly reccomend the Rigid 3650. It's a great saw that blows away everything else in it's price class.
On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 15:05:10 GMT, "Cyrille de Brbisson"

Save up your $--you'll need a bit more to get a decent table saw unless you can find a used one.
Yes, I agree with the rest of the comments posted here. I would save the money until you could save up for a closed stand saw.
The only Jet tablesaw that comes close to your price range is their contactor tablesaw:
http://www.etoolclub.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action tail&iid`57509
and it's right at the price point you were looking to spend. However, if you look at some of the others we carry. you will quickly realize that most of the models with the features that you are sure to want get a little higher than your price range.
http://www.etoolclub.com/index.cfm?area=shop&action=browse&cidx9
Jet, Powermatic, Delta, General and Rigid all make great models and we carry replacement parts and accessories for the Jet and Powermatic models. Please let me know if there is any question you may have, and I'll make sure we get you an answer.
Good luck on your search...saving your money might be the best bet on this one unless you are just looking for a solid tablesaw without the frills.