Which router bit that will do this?

I need a router bit to shape the top part only, the bottom can be made with a bit I already own. top right side of

left side of this, I prefer the edge to be pointy
need to make several transition/reducer strips per day as I install hardwood flooring. The ready made strips in lumber places don't come in all the sizes my customer's homes require. So I want to make them by attaching a bit to my 1/2 inch router. Will this idea work and what is the name of router bit that will do this? I found some router bits on the net but they will end up making the slope too steep. So I think I need a bit that is much wider, thus it will create a gentler slope. I just need the router bit to shape the top part only, the bottom can be made with a bit I already own.

Reply to
ississauga

Look here and find the profile you want:

may have to use a raised panel bit. If they don't stock a bit for this, they can make one - for a fee.

That's gonna be a large bit, so you will want to reduce your router speed or suffer the consequences. A high HP router will also be a good thing - mounted in a table with featherboards - or a shaper.

I doubt you could safely do this with a handheld router configuration.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

I like Greg's idea of contacting Whiteside for this bit, but I'd suggest making it a vertical panel raising bit, so you don't have to swing so much carbide to make the profile.

Reply to
Kevin Singleton

Probably why I also suggested a raised panel bit... ;-)

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Note the "vertical" part though. Makes a difference.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'd suggest using a tablesaw to remove the bulk of the material and a block plane and sandpaper to get the curve right. it's quiet, lets you get a wide range of curves from a small set of tools without buying a bunch of expensive bits and lets you make small adjustments right there as you fit the part in place.

Reply to
bridger