Which plate Joiner?

Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house (tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

I now own a PC 557, type3. The selling point over the DeWalt for me was the extra FF blade, which I use primarily on smaller miter joints in lieu of splines.

Reply to
Swingman

Yes, that feature also is swaying me to the PC. The fence also has more adjustment than the Dewalt. The extra $50 seams worth it in the long run.

Matt

Sw> I now own a PC 557, type3. The selling point over the DeWalt for me was the

Reply to
Matt

I have the DeWalt, in hindsight, I should have bought the PC.

If you know you'll NEVER use FF biscuits, the DeWalt does a perfectly fine job.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I'd recommend the PC. Not because I have anything against the DeWalt or have heard anything against it but because I only need one and the Delta is the one I bought.

Reply to
Mike G

I had a Freud. I was going to replace it with the Makita because I have had good luck with Makita tools. At the last minute I bought the PC type 3 because of the FF biscuits. Make sure you get the type 3 if you buy one. The PC works great. One surprise, it's exactly as noisy as the Freud.

Regards

Reply to
Peter in Rosburg

I honestly have never found a great need for a plate or biscuit joiner BUT last winter I did buy a PC ... and during that year I have used it ONCE... and it did work ! BUT looking back over the year I made a bad buy...

Projects built during the year were an entertainment center a pair of end tables, and a coffee table all for my daughters home.. Plenty of chances to use the thing BUT I honestly could have made out better by using the money for beer...

Just my opinion... Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

does the PC have provisions for dust collection? Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I faced the very same choice and went w/ the PC 557. I'm totally satisfied with it, but can't compare it to the DeWalt only because I've never used a DeWalt.

It's a darn good tool, I'd say.

-JBB

Reply to
J.B. Bobbitt

It has a 1" diameter pickup to connect either the dust bag or a DC.

Nova

The PC has a 1" outlet for a dust collecting bag. Bag included.

I bought a 1" x 2 1/2" adapter and duct tape the 1" end to the PC and hook my shop vac to the other end.

I do this when I have about 300 slots to make. No dust. Between the PC and the shop vac I wear ear protection.

Regards

Reply to
Peter in Rosburg

How do I know if I am buying a type 3? is there some code on the packaging?

I decided to pick up the PC, maybe today if time permits. Thanks for all the comments!

Matt

Peter > I had a Freud. I was going to replace it with the Makita because I have had

Reply to
Matt

I am not in the shop at the moment, but it will say Type 3 on the serial number plate, IIRC ... make sure that it does!

Reply to
Swingman

Check out the Makita.

Reply to
Ace

Why? ... as previously discussed, the PC has an extra FF blade, which makes it a more versatile tool for some of us.

Reply to
Swingman

I suppose that rules out online shopping???

-Mike

Reply to
Poseidon

The label on the box tells you the type.

Reply to
Peter in Rosburg

Yes, it says it in a label in the packaging. If you don't see the label, don't buy it.

The Type 3 has been out for a couple years. Chances of getting an old one are slim, but possible. It clearly says Type 3 on the serial number/barcode sticker on the box.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

You know that PC has a $30.00 rebate on the 557 if bought between Nov and Dec 31. Check out their web site for the info.

Reply to
Ron Stitt