Which plate Joiner?

Page 1 of 2
Looking to purchase a plate joiner. Dewalt and Porter Cable are the two that I am looking into. Having never used one, which of the two would you reccomend and why? I will use it for projects around the house (tables, board glue ups, face frames, etc). Thanks.
Matt
I now own a PC 557, type3. The selling point over the DeWalt for me was the extra FF blade, which I use primarily on smaller miter joints in lieu of splines.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03
Swingman wrote:

I have the DeWalt, in hindsight, I should have bought the PC.
If you know you'll NEVER use FF biscuits, the DeWalt does a perfectly fine job.
Barry
I'd recommend the PC. Not because I have anything against the DeWalt or have heard anything against it but because I only need one and the Delta is the one I bought.
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 17:05:01 -0800, "Peter in Rosburg"

does the PC have provisions for dust collection?     Bridger
Bridger wrote:

It has a 1" diameter pickup to connect either the dust bag or a DC.
The PC has a 1" outlet for a dust collecting bag. Bag included.
I bought a 1" x 2 1/2" adapter and duct tape the 1" end to the PC and hook my shop vac to the other end.
I do this when I have about 300 slots to make. No dust. Between the PC and the shop vac I wear ear protection.
Regards

How do I know if I am buying a type 3? is there some code on the packaging?
I decided to pick up the PC, maybe today if time permits. Thanks for all the comments!
Matt
Peter in Rosburg wrote:

I am not in the shop at the moment, but it will say Type 3 on the serial number plate, IIRC ... make sure that it does!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Why? ... as previously discussed, the PC has an extra FF blade, which makes it a more versatile tool for some of us.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Poseidon said:

The Type 3 has been out for a couple years. Chances of getting an old one are slim, but possible. It clearly says Type 3 on the serial number/barcode sticker on the box.
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote in message

I just looked at my copy of the upc code that I sent in for my rebate, and it says it's a type 2. What exactly is the difference? I suppose there's not much I can do about it at this point, since I already mailed in the receipt and upc, and now only have a copy.
Tom

Some of the type 2's require a shim for the fence to be flush with the base when doing 0 degree cuts:
http://users.easystreet.com/onlnlowe/fbncc/fbncc_frame.html
Apparently not all type 2's have this problem so you have to measure ... the above should give you a better idea.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/29/03

Swingman, thanks for the information. I raised up the fence and put a straightedge on it, and there was a slight gap on the slot face where the anti-skid piece is, so I'm assuming I need the shim. I may try taking it back to HD and talk to the manager about exchanging it, but I doubt I will get anywhere without the original receipt and upc...just copies. If that fails I'll order the shim kit.
Do you have any idea when Porter Cable first came out with the "Type 3"? My only arguement would be that HD sold me an old tool.
Thanks again! Tom
"Tom M." wrote in message

IIRC, sometime last January or February (03), so it's been about a year now.
Print out the article on Owen's page (I'd ask his permission first) and take it with you when you go. Tell them that it is imperative for _your particular use_ that the tool be a type 3 and you thought that what was you were getting since Porter Cable fixed the problem a year ago.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/04

It's OK with me. The change seems to first appear in the Fall of '02 with the last of the Type 2 run. Meaning that some late Type 2's don't exhibit the 1/16" setback of the saw slot from the fence face. Best to check the tool before deciding it's got the setback problem.