Which Planer

Page 2 of 2

Why not spend a few hundred more and get a Grizzley stationary planer? The DeWalts are way over priced IMHO.

I thought about the Grizzly. I took a shop class a couple years back and they had a monster 24" planer with steel infeed rollers. You had to plane something like 1/8" or else it left serrated marks in the wood. Have always been nervous about the stationary planers and if they could skim the wood and still leave a clean finish.
Amazon has the DW735 for $549 so going to a Griz would be about double the price :(

I thought about the Grizzly. I took a shop class a couple years back and they had a monster 24" planer with steel infeed rollers. You had to plane something like 1/8" or else it left serrated marks in the wood. Have always been nervous about the stationary planers and if they could skim the wood and still leave a clean finish.
The larger stationary planers typically have steel feed rollers that create those marks that you mentioned. If the planer you were using had to remove 1/8", the planer was seriousely out of adjustment. I have a 15" stationary Delta planer and it too will leave the marks however I only have to remove about 1/64" to avoid the indentations. The trick is to agressively remove material up to about 1/32" and then make a slower final pass removing the remaining 1/32" or more material.
Amazon has the DW735 for $549 so going to a Griz would be about double the price :(
You might want to look again, the Griz on the below link is $769 Delivered! That is only $220 more, has a much higher capacity, and you likely will never have to replace the planer again.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer-w-Open-Stand/G0550
Or if you want an enclosed vs. open stand with wheels and 50% more power thnn the other Griz you can get the below linked planer for $889 Delivered! Only $340 more.
http://www.grizzly.com/products/15-Planer-w-Closed-Stand/G0551
Just something to think about but also consider that fact the knives can be resharpened time and again which will quickly whittle down the difference in price.

Canada!
There has been many complaints in this newsgroup over the years that Canadians can not buy from grizzly directly. There is brokerage fees, of course. But grizzly has negotiated fees with a broker to soften the blow.
I thought I would mention it. All those folks who wanted to buy grizzly in the past have probably already bought something else. Oh, well...

I was looking at the G0453 but I will take a look at the G0551. That might actually be the best deal. I have a couple Griz tools and like them a lot.

I realize you may have been looking at a better planer than the cheaper ones that I pointed out but you have to condiser that most any decent brand stationary planer is going to be a vast improvement over a portable unit.
AND if you can swing it, the closed bottom unit with casters will make it easy to store out of the way when not in use. The 3 hp would be handy also.

I have this planer: http://tinyurl.com/y7mje4c
16" Jet. I just recently planed some 4/4, S2S Red Oak, just to get the mill marks off. Just skimmed the surface. The boards came out looking great.
Max
On 04/13/2010 10:11 AM, Leon wrote:

Interesting... Grizzly is carrying the G0551 again. My Dad bought that planer a few years ago, but when I decided to spring for a new planer last year the G0551 was missing from the Grizzly lineup, so I bought the G0453 instead. I don't regret my decision, but I would probably have the G0551 right now if it had been available. I wonder why they dropped that model then brought it back? Incidentally, at its core the G0551 is pretty much a less fancy version of the Delta 22-790X, which these days sells for over $1200.
--
My momma taught me two things about life:
1. Never tell them everything you know;

Strange things happen like that. Last year I bought one of the new Delta drill presses, a few months later it could not be found. It has reappeared again.

Now that it's back, take the wheels off it.

Now that it's back, take the wheels off it.
I've had the same problem with a dewalt csms, turns out my brother is the culprit.
basilisk

Yes, it is loud. Hearing protection is a must, but if you're working with power tools inside you need hearing protection. I got a pair of Peltor H10As I use all the time in the shop.
The Shop Vac seems to be about the same loudness, maybe a little quieter than the 735.
The trickiest thing with the 735 is probably going to be chip collection. With the diverter installed, it will spew chips all over the shop. Any kind of bucket you may direct chips in to will probably fly all over the shop. A decent dust collector (or maybe just a cheapy) will be essential.
I've only had mine a few days, but it's been good so far. I'll probably have to build infeed and outfeed tables for it soon. Lowes had just the DW735 planer (and knives) for down to $550. My local one had it at $535.
Puckdropper

<puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote: [...]

The DeWalt input/output tables show up on eBay from time to time. That's where I got mine, for about 60% of retail price.
Ron S wrote:

I read a review of planers a couple of issues back in the one of the wood working mags and the Ridgid came out as the third best but the most economical. Being married to a "downeaster scot" that was an important consideration. I have never regretted the purchase. It leaves a finish almost as smooth as I could/would sand and the snipe is not bad.
As a tip, I have found that if I give a bit of up pressure on the board as it exits the planer snipe almost disappears.
Deb

Maybe a bit lower than third, but ... if this (I have the Ridgid) is rated that low ... then the ones that rated higher must produce float glass on the outfeed side ;-)
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_WVVYjLCNo2w/S8Ibb6rCc6I/AAAAAAAAA9Q/zjkS2e7P18k/s512/scan.jpg