Which Planer

Maybe a bit lower than third, but ... if this (I have the Ridgid) is rated that low ... then the ones that rated higher must produce float glass on the outfeed side ;-)

Neil Brooks

I thought about the Grizzly. I took a shop class a couple years back and they had a monster 24" planer with steel infeed rollers. You had to plane something like 1/8" or else it left serrated marks in the wood. Have always been nervous about the stationary planers and if they could skim the wood and still leave a clean finish.

The larger stationary planers typically have steel feed rollers that create those marks that you mentioned. If the planer you were using had to remove

1/8", the planer was seriousely out of adjustment. I have a 15" stationary Delta planer and it too will leave the marks however I only have to remove about 1/64" to avoid the indentations. The trick is to agressively remove material up to about 1/32" and then make a slower final pass removing the remaining 1/32" or more material.

Amazon has the DW735 for $549 so going to a Griz would be about double the price :(

You might want to look again, the Griz on the below link is $769 Delivered! That is only $220 more, has a much higher capacity, and you likely will never have to replace the planer again.

if you want an enclosed vs. open stand with wheels and 50% more power thnn the other Griz you can get the below linked planer for $889 Delivered! Only $340 more.

something to think about but also consider that fact the knives can be resharpened time and again which will quickly whittle down the difference in price.

Reply to
Leon

My son picked up an 8 or 10 pack at Walgreens for about $4 IIRC, he needed something that worked well for the NHRA drag races this last week end. He said they worked well but the roar of the engines would shake the fillings out of your teeth.

I still use the same style muffs that you mentioned above as I too want to hear the regular sounds but cut out the occasional loud noise. I have to had to spend more for mine to get a pair that will actually fit comfortabley over a cap. Most ear muff that I put on will not seal properly.

Reply to
Leon

Hey, I went to the grizzly site and saw that they are now shipping to Canada!

There has been many complaints in this newsgroup over the years that Canadians can not buy from grizzly directly. There is brokerage fees, of course. But grizzly has negotiated fees with a broker to soften the blow.

I thought I would mention it. All those folks who wanted to buy grizzly in the past have probably already bought something else. Oh, well...

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I was looking at the G0453 but I will take a look at the G0551. That might actually be the best deal. I have a couple Griz tools and like them a lot.

Reply to
Ron S

What most of these units have is an ecentric busing at each end with a set screw. This means you have to get down inside the machine and go back and forth until you finally get it set evenly at the desired height. This does in theory make it possible to set them exactly as you want. The problems being: - Making a quick adjustment is not really possible - Once you set them at a given place you usually create a detent in the bushing so it always wants to settel back to that location of you reset it.

Yes, setting them a few thou above the table is the correct setting if you have fairly smooth wood. However, for rougher stock you want to bump it up to like 10 thou for smooth feeding (at the cost of extra snipe). This is just not possible with this type of setting. High end planer have a fine adjustment hand wheel on the front of the unit and it makes this a breeze. The only folks that have this feature on a smaller planer that I have seen is Woodtek (woodworkers supply?) on their 20" for like $2 or $3k I think.

Just my pet peeve. I did see tha the Steel City folks added a little wing on the end of the shaft of the bed rollers that makes it real easy to dial in the height but they have the same set screw to busing lock down mech.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

"Larry Jaques" wrote

We attended a "Chicago" concert last week. I wore the earplugs. My wife really enjoyed the performance. {:-(

Max

Reply to
Max

" Jet. I just recently planed some 4/4, S2S Red Oak, just to get the mill marks off. Just skimmed the surface. The boards came out looking great.

Max

Reply to
Max

Interesting... Grizzly is carrying the G0551 again. My Dad bought that planer a few years ago, but when I decided to spring for a new planer last year the G0551 was missing from the Grizzly lineup, so I bought the G0453 instead. I don't regret my decision, but I would probably have the G0551 right now if it had been available. I wonder why they dropped that model then brought it back? Incidentally, at its core the G0551 is pretty much a less fancy version of the Delta 22-790X, which these days sells for over $1200.

Reply to
Steve Turner

I realize you may have been looking at a better planer than the cheaper ones that I pointed out but you have to condiser that most any decent brand stationary planer is going to be a vast improvement over a portable unit.

AND if you can swing it, the closed bottom unit with casters will make it easy to store out of the way when not in use. The 3 hp would be handy also.

Reply to
Leon

Strange things happen like that. Last year I bought one of the new Delta drill presses, a few months later it could not be found. It has reappeared again.

Reply to
Leon

Having attended many more concerts than I can remember back in the 70's and early 80's I don't need hearing protection any more. ;~)

Believe it or not my wife fell asleep during an Eagles concert.

Reply to
Leon

"Leon" wrote

-------------------------------

I can relate.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Now that it's back, take the wheels off it.

Reply to
keithw86

Now that it's back, take the wheels off it.

I've had the same problem with a dewalt csms, turns out my brother is the culprit.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk