which mortiser to buy??????

I am looking to buy a mortiser for the workshop. The old drill press and chisel method is getting old. Any sugesstion on which one to buy. I am looking towards buying a powermatic. Any pros or cons you guys have I look forward to your replies.

Reply to
buick 58

If you've got the cash for a Powermatic, go for it - I doubt you'll do much better than that. Search the archives here for a little more info. If money is an issue, Amazon and Delta have a deal right now where you can get the 14-651 (Delta's higher-line mortiser with cast-iron table etc.) for about $175. Just received mine but haven't had a chance to play with it yet. I found positive opinions on that model in the archives here, in Amazon reviews (for those that received the machine without shipping damage; mine was fine), and it received top honors in a Workbench magazine review of 8 mid-range models (Powermatic not included in that review).

review by American Woodworker is available at
but in that review, 5 of 8 machines tested received "best buy" awards. The Powermatic Model 719 was mentioned briefly as an "industrial-quality" machine that "testers loved", but was apparently out of the league of the rest of their tested benchtop models. Now hopefully someone who has a Powermatic will be able to weigh in with a real review. If you're looking to burn more money, Lee Valley has premium chisel & bit sets. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

I just bought the Delta Benchtop Mortiser from Amazon. They have a heck of a deal with free shipping is $199.00. Actually mine came out to be $186.00. The deal is still on at this url.

Reply to
Marv

Powermatic, IMO, is a good way to go. I've had a Delta for years, but if you go with a Delta, look for the 14-651 ... the lower priced one is not near the machine from what I've seen of them.

Reply to
Swingman

Did you get those DT's cut out?

Reply to
Leon

Here's a side by side with pics and text.

an XY table makes aligning the chisel to the layout lines SO MUCH EASIER

I did all of the M&T joints in Das Bench - the shoulder vise and twin screw end vise bench based mainly on Frank Klausz's workbench. Big mortises (10) for the base, lots (48) of small ones for the intenal drawer guides and in between sized through mortises (8) for the stretchers, 12 more for the front and back verticals around the drawers (stiles). This page and the next one will give you a better idea of where all these M&T joints were

the prices have gone up about $100 each since I got mine.

Reply to
charlie b

You bet ... the TDT on the case are all cut, and the fit was much better than I anticipated thus far. Gotta find some Weldwood today as the glue-up is going to take a bit more time than two hands and yellow glue will allow.

Reply to
Swingman

I compared the Deltas, Shop Fox and Jet when I bought one a couple years ago. They were all within spitting distance of each other price wise. I ended up with the Shop Fox. Has more depth and height then Delta and Jet. Has a horizontal handle which I found made it a LOT easier to use, and the handle requires no tools to change the angle. The Shop Fox had the best table and fence of the three at the time, though I see Delta has improved in that regard. Also has a swivel base so you are not limited to height at all. It's also a much heavier machine, all cast iron versus some stamped steel, so not as portable.

I briefly looked at Powermatic, but SWMBO said NO!

Reply to
BillB