Which mortise chisels?

If you had a choice between

would you buy? The boxwood handles certainly seem more traditional, but I suspect the synthetic handles are more rugged. Price is close enough that it's not a factor. I'm assuming the business end of both styles are identical.

Reply to
Roy Smith

Steve Knight promotes these by Jim Wilson:

And Jim's pricing is right in line.

Disclaimer: I do not know Jim nor do I own any of his tools.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:07:35 GMT, Dave Balderstone Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

i THINK...dont quote me on this,,,but i think Jim is semi-retired and out of the tool making biz... least that is what one is lead to believe from what Steve has got up on his site. . .

Traves W. Coppock

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:36:19 -0400, Roy Smith Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

i would go with the red handled ones...just personal taste in looks. both are of the same quality you would expect from Sorby's

Traves W. Coppock

Read the link - they're back.

Reply to
PM6564

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:14:21 GMT, "PM6564" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

snip

actually, read this page from Steve's site. . . scroll all the way to the bottom.

**Infill planes are temporarily unavailable till I find another machinist as mine is retiring.

**

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 06:28:02 -0500, Traves W. Coppock

more like he ran out of time. but he is starting up again. Hope we can work infills in again but I am not sure.

Reply to
Steve Knight

On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:43:42 GMT, Steve Knight Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

now that is good news

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

I don't know if this is important to you or not but it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.

Some chisels sold as fractional inches are just that. Others are metric and marketed as fractional inches.

I was at one of the ww stores the other day and was looking at the Sorby mortise chisels. These

measured to be true fractional inches even though they were engraved with mm specs. These
mm in marking and measurement.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Am glad as hell that Jim Wilson is making his mortising chisels again. Here's the announcement of his return.

I bought his 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" chisels early on and when I first saw them I thought of Crocodile Dundee's line "That's not a knife. THIS is a KNIFE!" These puppies are MOROTISING CHISELS! (see link to confirm)

These beasties are industrial strnegth and made for pounding on all day long - beefy and the sides of the bevel will cut wood as well. Because of their thickness they keep the sides of the mortise straight and square (if you start straight and square).

Note: You can wedge one in a deep mortise. If you do, DO NOT HAVE YOUR CHIN IN THE EXIT PATH - YOU WILL SEE STARS (DAMHIKT...)

I have no financial connection to Jim Wilson or Steve Knight (OK so with what I bought from Steve I may have made one or more of his house payments but ...)

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

I'm crossing my fingers....