Which mortise chisels?

If you had a choice between
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0%4&1%5&3p3
and
http://www.tools-for-woodworking.com/product.asp?0%4&1%5&3w8
which would you buy? The boxwood handles certainly seem more traditional, but I suspect the synthetic handles are more rugged. Price is close enough that it's not a factor. I'm assuming the business end of both styles are identical.
Steve Knight promotes these by Jim Wilson:
<http://www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels/
And Jim's pricing is right in line.
Disclaimer: I do not know Jim nor do I own any of his tools.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 02:07:35 GMT, Dave Balderstone

i THINK...dont quote me on this,,,but i think Jim is semi-retired and out of the tool making biz... least that is what one is lead to believe from what Steve has got up on his site. . .
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

Read the link - they're back.
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 11:14:21 GMT, "PM6564"
snip

actually, read this page from Steve's site. . . scroll all the way to the bottom.
http://www.knight-toolworks.com/infill.htm
**Infill planes are temporarily unavailable till I find another machinist as mine is retiring. **
Traves
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 06:28:02 -0500, Traves W. Coppock

more like he ran out of time. but he is starting up again. Hope we can work infills in again but I am not sure.
--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:43:42 GMT, Steve Knight

now that is good news
Traves
On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 16:43:42 GMT, Steve Knight

I'm crossing my fingers....
Layne
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Am glad as hell that Jim Wilson is making his mortising chisels again. Here's the announcement of his return. www.paragoncode.com/toolmaking/mortise_chisels/notice.htm
I bought his 1/4", 1/2" and 3/4" chisels early on and when I first saw them I thought of Crocodile Dundee's line "That's not a knife. THIS is a KNIFE!" These puppies are MOROTISING CHISELS! (see link to confirm) www.wood-workers.com/users/charlieb/Boxes1.html
These beasties are industrial strnegth and made for pounding on all day long - beefy and the sides of the bevel will cut wood as well. Because of their thickness they keep the sides of the mortise straight and square (if you start straight and square).
Note: You can wedge one in a deep mortise. If you do, DO NOT HAVE YOUR CHIN IN THE EXIT PATH - YOU WILL SEE STARS (DAMHIKT...)
I have no financial connection to Jim Wilson or Steve Knight (OK so with what I bought from Steve I may have made one or more of his house payments but ...)
charlie b
out of the shop and said. . .:
snip

i would go with the red handled ones...just personal taste in looks. both are of the same quality you would expect from Sorby's
I don't know if this is important to you or not but it hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet.
Some chisels sold as fractional inches are just that. Others are metric and marketed as fractional inches.
I was at one of the ww stores the other day and was looking at the Sorby mortise chisels. These http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_C ode=toolshop&Product_Code=WS-SMCHIS.XX&Category_Code=TBMC I measured to be true fractional inches even though they were engraved with mm specs. These http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/Merchant/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_C ode=toolshop&Product_Code-500-20.XX&Category_Code=TBMC were mm in marking and measurement.
Art