Which laser level works outdoors?

Page 1 of 2
I searched the discussion groups for laser levels and found a few references here so I will ask you for assistance.
Can anyone tell me if there exists a tool to project a straight line about 10 feet outdoors?
I am looking for a laser level (or some other tool) to project a line outdoors on the ground (actually a very well maintained, extremely short cut grass lawn) on a sunny day. I would like to be able to see the line for 8 to 10 feet (maximum of 20 feet). I am looking for a laser level type of projection because I can not drive any stake into the lawn and I can not leave a mark on the lawn when I am finished. Also other people will be walking around the area and I do not want them to trip over any physical line. I need to adjust/rotate the projected straight line easily a few degrees to the left or the right as needed.
I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in sunlight no line is visible). I expect there exists a solution but my price range is limited.
Your suggestions (and price ranges) are most welcome. TIA, Terry

No store bought laser will give you an actual line you can reliably see in sunny daylight. Also they will not give you an actual line, just a single dot. A proper spinning laser ($300 and up) will give you an actual line but will be very difficult to see in sunny daylight. Especially on grass

While I cannot contest this statement and can agree that is true with my findings,

I can say the my cheapo laser level does in fact dies cast a line the entire length of its beam very similar to those found on miter saws.
Mine too.

entire
On Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:10:21 -0500, "TaskMule"

Goggles and masking tape backgrounds help, but this is certainly an issue.

I've just bought a new 50 level for tiling - a pendulum mechanism with a horizontal and vertical line generator lens on it (not a rotating mirror). Two excellent lines, which are really intended for indoor use square-on to the wall, but they still make a useful horizontal line for outdoor use, projecting along the surface.

in
OK, yea, I know those ones. good point
Terry,
You might take a look at the PLS2E (Pacific Laser Systems). I've been very pleased with my PLS2. It projects both a horizontal and/or plum line and is self leveling. It works best when inside or where there is some shade. However, PLS has just come out with the PLS2E which can be used outside in bright sunlight. I believe these units include a special receptor which is sensitive to the laser. I don't know what your price point is, but most all of the professional grade laser levels will run several hundred dollars. You get what you pay for....
Bob

Yes, such things _do_ exist. But they are expensive. VERY *EXPENSIVE*.

Sounds to me like your best bet is to 'snap' a _chalk_line_, and then vaccum up the chalk afterwards, if necessary.
Alternatives are to put up something to block enough of the 'ambient' light that you _can_ see the el-cheapo laser level. Essentially, build a temporary 'cave' to work in.
Yeah. Pacific Laser's PLS5X comes in at about $560, and needs a tripod and probably a tripod adapter. Everything Stanley makes is rated for interior use, as is everything else PLS makes.
As someone notes, a couple bricks and layout string will be cheapest and best.
On 14 Feb 2005 16:59:51 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@mn.rr.com wrote:

survey twine and two bricks. the twine comes in dayglo colors. the bricks are red. if you need more visibility, paint the bricks dayglo too.
wrap the twine around the brick two or three turns and stretch it where you need it.

I second that motion. Essentially the same thing masons do when laying blocks, except on a smaller scale. Works for them, should work for the OP.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

If money is the restrictive factor, use clear tubing and water. Or rent a sight level (builders level).
Dave

Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 4:59pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@mn.rr.com claims: <snip> I have tried the $40 to $50 laser levels found at Home Depot, Lowes, or Menards (take your pick) and they work poorly outside (in sunlight no line is visible). <snip>
Lines? You're either trolling, or been watching too many sci-fi flicks. And, I've got a laser level that works fine, and ran me less than $10 - but maybe it was so cheap because it didn't do lines either.
You want a line, get a piece of clear plastic tubing. Put some water in it. Then raise the far end of the tube, until you get water up to your reference point. Then the othen water level will be exactly the same level. Run a string between the two and you've got your "line". Or, possibly you can "shoot" your laser, then toss some flour in the air, and get your "line" that way, but I don't know what good that would be.
claims:

Actually JT, a lot of laser levels will shoot a line along a surface. Mine does. I think though that the OP wants the line to appear on the grass, so the water level solution won't work for him. Still not sure why a simple piece of string won't work for him.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
claims:

Mine
so
From the original post it would appear that he doesn't want to distrub other golfers on the green, heh

other
Yup - sorta makes the bricks and string idea a bit inappropriate, huh?
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
Mon, Feb 14, 2005, 4:59pm (EST-3) snipped-for-privacy@mn.rr.com says: <snip> I am looking <snip>
On second thought, I think we need more details.
says:

Th details are there, he wants to project a line on the ground so a water level wouldn't be much use.
Tue, Feb 15, 2005, 3:17pm snipped-for-privacy@thistime.net (TaskMule) says: Th details are there, he wants to project a line on the ground so a water level wouldn't be much use.
Yeah, I think I was reading it wrong. Or sumpthin'. Maybe a lack of caffine. I got it just as I punched the button.
But, I'm still puzzled. If I wanted to do something like that, my first thought probably would be like someone else suggested - a piece of string, and something to hold the end down - and a chalkline if I wanted an actual line. Are people getting so gadget obscessed they've "got" to have something "technical" to do even basic suff with? Now that I think on it, did the guy even say what he wanted it for? Probably on a putting green, to line up a putt.