Which Kreg Jig?

I am starting to build some traditional cabinets to be used in a laundry room. I have been reasonably convinced by multiple sources to use pocket hole joints and specifically to use a Kreg jig. What I can't determine is whether I should go with the full-fledged K2000 model ($140 kit price) or the Rocket Jig model ($60 kit price). Is there any compelling reason to spend $80 more for the K2000?
Thanks, DW
I've got the K2000 model and have used both the K2 and the "rocket" in the past ... if I had to buy the k2000 over again, I would do so. I have mine set up on a base plate that makes it quick, convenient and handy.
The aluminum K2 is nice, but you get the same functionality with the K2000 kit, plus drill, drill stop, the pocket version jig, a clamp and some other items that escape me at the moment. I any event, I certainly found it to be worth the extra price.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 8/16/03

Greetings,
I bought the whole package when the woodworking show came to town. I find I use everything. Each works better for some jobs than for others. I used the little one hole jig to repair a chair bottom that had split.
Sincerely, Bill THomas
Denver Woody wrote:

If you a finishing woodworker, then I would get the kit. If you are into fixing / repairing broken stuff, the jig would be handier for that type of work. You may end up with both. I would advise the complete kit first (it's more expensive) and buy the jig later when you need it. I did notice that Lowe's had started carrying Kreg.

Greetings,
See following URL for the kinds of things you can get. http://www.kregtool.com/iwwida.pvx ?;products?comp=ktc If that URL does not work, then start with this URL http://www.kregtool.com/ and go to on line catalog -> Pocket Hole System -> Kreg Jig Series and also the Rocket and Mini Jig series and also the Clamping Tools
The "whole thing" from the show included ProBack plus Bench Klamp plus Right Angle clamp plus another face face clamp plus another drill bit plus the two videos for about $200.
Of course, once you all have this, you will need to buy a cordless drill. Perhaps a Milwaukee 0616-24 14.4-Volt Loc-Tor T-Handle Drill Kit? See URL (Amazon.com product link shortened)
And then you will need a workbench to work on and storage space to keep everything. Did we mention dust collection and lighting and power distribution? Of course these will require some more tools.
Sincerely, Bill Thomas
Ramsey wrote:

The K2000 Pro Pack comes with The K2000, The Rocket and The Mini Jig. The K2000 is very useful for quickly drilling pocket holes, especially for face frames among others. I use the mini jig mostly to repair existing joints and the rocket to work on larger sheet material as this can be a little overwhelming to throw into the the K2000 for drilling.
Very useful kit indeed.
We have a review online at www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk2000.htm if you want to take a look.
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence ------------------------------------------------------------

If you need to do a lot of face frames, the K2000 will make drilling them much quicker than the Rocket jig. If you buy the K2000 Pro pack, you get the Rocket jig (as well as the mini-jig that also has the plug setting feature) in the pack!
A review of the K2000 can be found here: http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/reviews/kregk2000.htm
-- Regards,
Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com ------------------------------------------------------------ Latest 5 Reviews: - Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw - Dowelmax Doweling System - Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill - Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones - Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence ------------------------------------------------------------
I've got the K2000 and heartily recommend it. the Rocket Jig is "ok" but the full blown mountable unit is the cat's meow. You won't be disappointed.
dave
Denver Woody wrote:

At the show I picked mine up at, the bill was close to $200, but it came with a nice plate / hold-down for making perfect face joints, and a 90 degree angle clamp you could put in a pocket hold to clamp something at 90 degrees to another work piece. Plus a spare bit and another small face clamp... Not bad for the money and I'm happy I got it all.
Its like anything else. You can get away with just the pocket jig and a drill bit (using some vice clamps you already have) but having the whole kit makes it quicker and easier to do in numerous situations where setting up the smaller jig isn't as easy.
So I installed it on Linux...
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 13:57:09 -0600, "Denver Woody"

I used the big system for a starter...borrowed from a friend. I found that I couldn't use the mounted jig very well or very often for large pieces. Its okay for face frames, etc. But you'll use the Rocket Jig much more. So...I wouldn't put out the extra money.
I finally had to give the thing back...and go out and buy my own. I bought the single pocket jig...$20 for the jig, drill bit, etc. And that works fine for me. With the 2-hole jig, I found that I often couldn't use the 2nd hole at the same time anyway. So I only drilled one hole...then moved it. So I bought the one hole.
I have a squeeze clamp for the jig...so all I needed was the jig and drill bit...which came as a set.
Damn well worth the $20!
Have a nice week...
Trent
Cat...the OTHER white meat!