which jointer?

Page 2 of 2

R. Pierce Butler wrote:

kill me so I switched.     mahalo,     jo4hn

I'd have put a restraining order out on it!
Tim Taylor wrote:

    shhhhhhhhhhhhhh,     jo4hn
snipped-for-privacy@google.com says...

Hmmm, a lot of the answers here leave me bemused. To clarify: I have a little Electra Beckum over and under machine. So the knives are 260mm wide (just over 10 inches). And, you know, I never, ever find myself using the jointer for anything wider than 2 inches, max. Usually 3/4' to 1 1/2". Anything wider that needs flattening goes through the thicknesser on alternate runs until I have a flat board with parallel surfaces.
The one thing I would wish for in a jointer is a long infeed and a long outfeed table. Solid cast, preferably. The entire table on my Electra is around 3' and I struggle with pieces over 6' long - entirely too many misses in getting a straight edge; beyond 8' it gets to be a joke. That'd be the top of my list: a nice long table, and 6" wide is fine by me, so long as I have access to a 10" thicknesser as well.
I love my finishing planes but for joining boards, I prefer to use the machine. If I had to join boards with handplanes, I'd likely give up building furniture! Never tried the router method -- you've given me food for thought w.r.t. long boards now :)
-Peter
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

I think the majority of posters will tell you to get an 8" jointer. I only have a 6" jointer.. Then I realized that it was more than adequate. Most of my boards don't need the face side joined. The planer does a good enough job. I face joint so rarely that I don't mind ripping the board down the middle to fit the jointer if I have to.
The only thing I'd suggest is to get a 6" jointer with a longer bed. That has the advantage of letting you join longer pieces. In defense of the 8" jointers, they generally have longer beds.

That's like asking should buy the Ford Escort or the Calidac Escalade. There is alot of products price points in between.
DJ20's sound like a really nice product (I've never used one myself), but i could not justify one hobbiest use. I upgraded from a smallish 6 to a Yorkcraft YC8J; It was about $750 delivered, about 2 years ago. For non-commercial use, I think the Griz and Yorkcraft products are a much more sensible value.

You have not enjoyed working with really straight and flat stock until you start by face jointing your own stock.
Assuming that you have a planer, start with rough stock. You will spend a little more time on stock prep. but wou will save a bundle of money and have better (straighter flatter) material.
-Steve
On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 17:34:00 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"

My 2 cents - get a DJ-20.
I used to use a Craftsman 6" jointer/planer (as they called it.) For me, it did everything a jointer had to do. Except is was too short. Many times my projects have long parts, and the short beds of that 6" machine just couldn't make 'em flat. The extra long beds of the DJ-20 are just the thing for that. Plus it just can't be stalled. The motor is 220 vs 110 for that Craftsman. I really couldn't be happier with it.
This Yank is a bit surprised you haven't considered General. They are Canadian and make some very impressive machinery. See http://www.general.ca /
--Jim

KENDALL SEYBERT wrote:

They make great stuff, but it's pretty expensive. Their imported line is better, but compared to something like Grizzly its still quite a bit higher-priced.
As a Canuck, I really envy you guys the ability to buy tools from Grizzly and Amazon.
Chris

I bought my 6" General last Christmas and I've really enjoyed having it. I use it a lot more often than I thought I would, for small projects as well as large.
I think there's no turning back for me. I've been "making do" for nearly two decades, but now I'm committed to assembling what I think is a fully equipped shop. One of the tools I'll have to wait for, but is high on my priority list, is space.
I did the math on how much money I'd save buying rough cut lumber and using the jointer to clean it up instead of paying the vendor. It will be many many years before the jointer has paid for itself. That said, the quality of my projects has gone up. So far it seems to be worth it.
- Owen -

Amen brother. I would have never anticipated the subtle but significant quality improvements that result from really flat and square stock. The only way to get that consistantly is to have freshly milled surfaces.
-Steve
R. Pierce Butler wrote:

Consider the Grizzly 8" jointer. I have one and it replaced a Delta 6" jointer. The parallelogram beds design make it easier to do adjusments. One of the tallest fences on the market and at about 550 pounds is stable. Also it has wheels. You just step on the front pivot arm and viola, it can be moved. On sale till 9-2-06. http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0490
PS Today the 15" planer arrives. Another summer sale item till 9-2. I also bought the framing nail gun 2 months ago and it works as advertised.
--
Frank Howell

Frank Howell wrote:

I wish I *could* buy that one. Unfortunately Grizzly won't ship to Canada. (Some kind of deal with Busy Bee Tools, apparently.)
The closest equivalent available in Canada is the King KC-80FX, which runs about $1074USD before shipping.
Chris