Which gauges for TS alignment ?

Page 1 of 3
I was getting ready to order the MasterGage SB-1 SuperBar from Amazon for $69.00, when I looked at the reviews and found that it is a cheaply made plastic device that many were not too impressed with. What should I use to calibrate my tablesaw? I hear of some of you folks getting readings to the thousandths of a inch. Can someone point me to exactly what I need to accomplish this? Thanks. Matt

Check this site:
http://www.ts-aligner.com /
--
Mike Iglesias Email: snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926

It was the September issue of Wood magazine that did a review on different alignment tools........I have the T.S.Aligner JR.........works great.....

Wood magazine did, sometime this summer I believe. I don't know the exact issue, but Mastergauge came out tops, with TS-aligner second. Mastergauge is a bit expensive, but I bought one and it has paid for itself.
Wayne
On 23 Jan 2004 14:38:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net ( snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net) wrote:

FWIW, I align my tools with a Starrett combination square, a sharpie, and some feeler gauges.
For instance, to do a miter slot to blade check, I do the following:
1. Mark a tooth with the Sharpie. 2. With the square's black edge sitting in the slot, adjust the square blade until it hits the tooth. 3. Rotate the same tooth to the back, slide the square down, and check the distance between the same tooth and the end of the square blade with the feeler gauges. If the tooth is closer and hits the square, readjust the square blade, rotate the saw blade forward, and measure that gap. 4. Adjust the table / trunion and measure again.
Can the expensive jigs get more accurate? Maybe. <G> All I know is that I learned this technique at a local school, it's in several books, and seems damn close enough for precision woodworking. None of the pros I've ever dealt with bother with anything else.
If I ever figure out I'm missing something, I'd be more than willing to drop big bucks on special jigs. I have not seen evidence that those jigs improve the _cut_, except for folks who don't know how to do the same alignment with tools they already own.
Barry
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

Nicely played little turdlette you've pinched off there B a r r y .
UA100
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:

snip

Starrett doesn't make inexpensive products either. Their combination square can set you back a chunk of change too. For the extra money on the TS-Aligner Junior Deluxe - the full name of the tool in question - you get a) convenience b) a well thought out, very well made measuring and set up tool that you can use for a host of other set ups. It also comes with instructions for how to use it for various set up work - providing info on how to for those of us who who don't or didn't have the benefit of a knowledgable mentor.
One advantage it has over the method you described is that, with the dial gauge, you can see the effect (or is it affect) of the adjustment you're making as you make it. A square and feeler gauge won't.
And checking run out on the arbor or on a drill press or ...
But I agree that there are lots of expensive super deluxe whip-zam devices on the market that most have no real need for.
charlie b
B a r r y B u r k e J r . wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
I was on my 2nd tablesaw (bench to contractor) before I had any feeler gages. I still don't have a Starrett. ;-) Might as well get the Normite aligner instead of the Neander, right? <g>
-- Mark
On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 18:08:52 GMT, "Mark Jerde"

I'd like to point out that the combination square doesn't even have to be a GOOD one. <G> Just about any combination square that holds it's blade tight will do fine, it dosen't have to be square. In fact, you can perform the same technique with two wood scraps and two screws. In truth, even the feeler gauges are optional. If you don't have a Sharpie, a dot of masking tape, nail polish, or pencil will also work.
All you're trying to do is ensure that the miter slot is parallel to the blade. You do this by ensuring that one tooth is the same distance from the slot at the front of the blade's rotation, and again at the back.
FWIW, I touch my $65 Starrett square every time I make a 90 or 45 degree mark, every time I adjust the cutting height of a tool, every time I set a blade or fence back to 90, etc... While a high-end blade alignment tool will probably do a wonderful job, how often will you really use it?
I feel that these devices, as accurate as they are, are often over hyped by magazines and at woodworking shows. They seem to be a boon for someone who is actually comparing out of the box specs, as a reviewer would need to do. The reviewer would also need to provide actual numbers for comparison, which I really don't need.
If anyone wishes to explain to me what I'm missing, I'm all ears! <G>
Barry
Get the TS Aligner Jr., available at:
http://www.ts-aligner.com
It's an excellent piece of quipment, and Ed Bennett's customer support is outstanding.
    -- Andy Barss
I concur. TS Aligner Jr. = perfectly set up power tools.

Andrew Barss wrote:

A-freakin-men!
charlie b

Ditto this.
Just in case you didn't get the message....... TS-Aligner Jr !!!
Bob S.
Bob S.wrote:

Ditto what Bahb said.
UA100

Speaking of TS-Ajr...
We haven't heard from Ed B. since shortly after that long running accuracy "discussion" with Steve Strickland, the puzzle and telescope man. I wonder if they both just keeled over after that... both spent, out of breath, legs wobbly and weakened.
Owen Lowe:

Ed had a brief walk on/guest appearance here after WOOD Magazine published the comparison of the different machinery alignment aids. I remember him being his "usual self". Later I saw a letter to the editor at WOOD from Ed. The tone of that letter was way professional and not like the Ed we've come to know and love.

Or maybe neither has been able to chew through their straps. Just say (tmPL), my idea of Hell would be to spend eternity sharing a room with those two.
UA100
So... I guess the ts-aligner is the one to get !!! LOL ... you guys have convinced me, with such a unanimous vote. I will order one immediately. Thanks for your help. Matt
Good choice! I think you won't regret it.

order