Which DeWalt 18 volt drill an saw

I want to purchase an 18 volt DeWalt cordless drill and, possibly, an

18 volt cordless saw. I already have the batteries and charger so I am looking at ebay for the new or used models without this expensive component. There are a number of models and I am trying to sort out the differences between (among) them before bidding. I think I am down to the DW987 or 959 drill although I am wondering if I should consider the 989 or 998 drills. I am looking at the DC390 or the DW939 saw. The real problem is that DeWalt has had various models of both drills and saws out in the last few years and only gives minimal specs on even their current models and no decernable reasoning to their numbering system. So, who uses what models of the DeWalt drills and saws and how do you like yours? What major features should I be looking for and which current and past models have them.

I am pretty sure that I want a 1/2" chuck on the drill, but which chuck (racheting, two part, one part, ????). The hammer feature would be nice for the few times I might need it but does it detract from use as a drill/driver? 2 speed vs. 3 speed (which has which?).

As to the saw I am pretty sure that I want the 6" blade, but what are the other distinquishing features of the various models?.

None of this is going to be put to serious use building houses or anything, just used around the shop and house and maybe on the boat or dock. I will admit that had I not been given a new set of batteries and charger I would be content with my Craftsman 14.4 volt drill and my corded saw, but hell, I have the batteries and what better excuse to buy a couple of tools does one need.

Thanks for any reviews or input anyone is willing to give.

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

I have been using Dewalt 18V tools for a while. I have them all. I'm on my third drill. The new XRP is quite torquey, has three speeds and a hammer feature (which I can't remember ever using). I got this from Harbor Freight with two batteries and yet another charger for $189.99. (I really needed the batteries more than the drill). The first drill saw heavy use and the clutch eventually went out. Then second has developed a faulty switch and loose casing - could be one in the same problem. I still highly recommend the 1/2" model (which all mine have been), although not the most ergonomic drill on the market. In 1/2" your choices narrow quickly.

I can tell you that the 5 x/x" saw is extremely convenient and cuts everything (2x) this side of pressure treated. It's very handy to swing in awkward positions since it is considerably light than a corded model.

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for the response. I sort of thought I would get a lot of responses as lots here use DeWalt tools, but yours is the only one. Could you tell me the model number of your drill? Several of their current and past model 18 volt drills use the XRP technology/battery/name. I think it is probably the DW987 based on the

3 speeds and hammer feature.

Thanks

Dave Hall

Reply to
Dave Hall

Mine is a 989. You might consider the 988 which is basically the same unit exept has the grip centered. This makes it better balanced and will stand up on it's own. I had one of these types a while back. Dewalt has rubber where the web of my thumb hit resulting in blisters. I seem to be the only one that ever had this problem though. Now that everybody is making a full line of cordless tools, if I had to do all over again, I'd think twice about Dewalt. I haven't been estatic with there reliability overall. Allegedly about a half dozen years or so ago, they moved their hand power tool manufacturing dow to Mexico. They were plagued with problems. Coulda been just working the bugs out, but this might be another consideration too. I can say that their service is excellent - as long as you don't do it person (as there is a B&D/Dewalt factory store in Baltimore)! The reps that show up weekly at HD are useless too - unless you're HD buying a trainload. Mark

Reply to
Mark