Which chisel?

Page 1 of 3
I bought a Narex paring chisel in 1/4". I figure it should do fer any corner cleaning I need on 1/2" finger joints. So, I plan on 1/2" finger joints made with a Japanese pull saw and cleaning up any cruddy corners with the paring chisel.
Howzabout those 1/2" flats on the bottom of finger slots? I see how a paring chisel cleans out corners and such, but what about chiseling the sqr bottom of a finger joint. Izzat a different type of chisel used to cut the flats between the 2 saw kerfs? If so, what kind?
____ ____ | | kerf--->| |<----kerf |___| ^ |__ FLAT
nb --new to WW terminology

____ ____ | | kerf--->| |<----kerf \___/ ^ |__ kerf
U musta fergot bout a coping saw 2 remove tha majority of tha waste. Then u clean up tha bottom an corners wid ur scary sharp chissel.

I forgot nada.
I've seen a coping saw used, on youtube. I kinda wanted to stay away from that option. I think I might have a jewelers coping saw or I may have given it to a pretty girl I was hitting on. Too old to recall. I'll check.
You still haven't answered my question. A butt chisel or "bench" chisel? Is there a difference? Lee Valley shows a Veritas® bench chisel doing precisely what I need, but I don't have $70 to blow ona single 1/2" chisel:
http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?pi619&cat=1,41504
nb

The 1/2 inch Narex bevel edge is 12 bucks US. http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?pg707&cat=1,41504 John T.

Thanks, John.
I was trying to get a purchase price up to "free shipping" on Amazon, as Lee Valley Tools is pretty cool, but!!....they insist on charging shipping based on the purchase of a single chisel.
IOW, you wanna buy 3 chisels and Lee will charge $8 shipping per chisel, not put all three chisels in the same box and charge shipping fer the weight of one box. Believe me. I called and asked.
I bought a single Narex 1/4" paring chisel from Lee. The box woulda easily held 20+ chisels, yet they wanted to charge shipping fer ea chisel I may have purchased. Sorry, but I prefer not to be chiseled! (snork) ;)
nb

Lee Valley shipping charges are based on the dollar value of the order - period. <except for a surcharge for oversize> It has always been this way. They began as a " mail order company " ...
http://www.leevalley.com/US/home/HelpShippingReturns.aspx?pb=1#ShippingCharges
John T.
snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

Order at "The Woodworking Shows", if available in your area, and get free shipping.

Gee, too bad yer not the LV rep I talked to on the phone.
I thought I would be charged by the actual cost of shipping the tools I ordered, not what LV happens to charge for shipping 'em. I can buy a 1/2" Sweetheart chisel fer $39 on Amazon, $34 at LV. Only prob is, LV wants $8 fer shipping fer that particular chisel. I wanted to order one Narex chisel and one Sweetheart chisel. LV wanted to charge me $8 each fer shipping. That's $16 fer a box w/ 2 chisels. The same box they shipped one chisel in and a box that could have easily held 10-20 chisels. You do the math. Myself? I know when I'm being ripped off.
Bottom line, Amazon will ship fer free after $49. I'm at $40-something fer tha pull-saw. If I don't need some kinda big $$$$ special order chisel, I can make $49 easy.
nb --fixed income

The web link shows the shipping charges quite clearly. Sorry about any mis-understandings with the phone rep. I suspect that it is a very rare thing with LV. Look for their free-shipping events - 4 or 5 times per year - $ 40. minimum order usually. John T.

I sincerely hope so, cuz I really do like LV.

Been there, saw that. Jes last week, in fact. Unfortunately, I didn't have any disposable income until this week, when they are not having a "free-shipping event". Life sucks, then you die. ;)
nb

Rather than playing the '1 chissel at a time' game why not just get a set of good BENCH chissels and go from there?
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
If you insist on only buing a 1/2" (bench or butt) chissel to clean out a 1/2" box joint you're going to wish you'd had gotten a 3/8" instead.
Jess sayin'...

Can you say "money"?
I'm happy you can afford whole "sets". I cannot.
I'm retired and on a fixed income and right now, $$$$ is in short supply. Yet I still wanna buy good tools. Solve that dilemma and I'll invite you over fer dinner. ;)
nb

Perhaps you need to prioritize your hobbies:

Caviar tool-taste on a sardine budget? Change your nym to notable or notwilling.
dilemma solved!

Perhaps I need to repair my kitchen.

Yes. Quite the burden. (sigh)

Nah. Too exp[a|e]nsive. ;)
nb
wrote: >>I'm retired and on a fixed income and right now, $$$$ is in short

Wanting to buy good tools isn't "caviar taste". We all know (or should) that buying a crappy tool just means you have to buy it over again when it fails.
It seems to me notbob is doing the right thing in looking for decent quality at a fair price, and filling the tool cabinet a bit at a time.
John

Thanks, John. That's precisely what I'm trying to do.
I figure if I can get my workmate fixed and get a Nippon pull saw, I can make the drawer box I need, plus learn something in the process.
I'm trying to do it for the least expense, yet I know I'll be doing more drawers before I'm through. Prolly a face frame, also. My buddy --with a lotta pwr tools-- will be up here in another month, then things will change. He has a table saw, dado sets, a router plus table, etc. All the stuff I need to knock these babies out by the score. Until then, I spend what I can afford w/o buying junk. ;)
nb
On Friday, April 29, 2016 at 10:36:22 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

You don't have to buy junk, but you should know there is a real line in the sand when it comes to tool steel and its utility use.
Chisels are made from just about every kind of steel, depending on the make r and their specs. But the real story to steel is its designed uses and it s heat treatment when annealing/tempering. I am a confessed steel junky, n ot as bad as I once was... but still... good steel makes me happy.
LN's A1 is no more than "OK". For the money you spend, they should be grea t, not just good. My personal experience with them wasn't great. Most of your air hardening steels such as A1, O1, etc., aren't that good at holding an edge but were developed (in the case of A1, in Japan) for tool/die work that required good abrasion resistance and toughness. I like O1 for cutti ng tools more than A1, but of the three I like D2 best and have purchased s everal cutting tools with in D2 and its finer carbides hold and edge better (when properly treated) than most other tool steel. I really like D2, but it is too hard for most to sharpen.
BTW, the "meh, OK" remark about LN chisels is also shared by Fine Woodworki ng: http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/article/bench-chisels.aspx
So what to do? You can go to the best steel such as the Crucible metals or the newer high speed tools that use M2, etc. and give away a pay check per chisel, or you can compromise.
When I started doing woodwork in a shop 40+ years ago, all the chisels were 1095, 1084, and some of the heavy "slicks" were 5200. A few of the chisel s I used later had extra vanadium in their formula, but were still just car bon steels.
I hate to sound so pedestrian, but they worked just fine. The old chisels were softer than I liked being hardened only to about 55 or so on the Rockw ell scale, but that also made them easy to sharpen, hone and touch up.
There are good values on these chisels out there if as pointed out before y ou do some scouting on your own. For example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Craftsman-wood-chisels-/131794992622?hash =item1eaf97fdee:g:sjsAAOSw3mpXISZa
or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-wood-chisels-Buck-Bros-Dunlap-/131794991210 ?hash=item1eaf97f86a:g:TbIAAOSw4hdXISeL
These types of chisels can do the work you want and you can probably get th em at a good price. Might take a few tries, but then again it might not.
I understand the money crunch as much as anyone, and I don't think you shou ld deny yourself the fun of using a sharp chisel (even if you have to touch it up more than the more expensive models), one that was made for a specif ic job. By the way, a paring chisel is a great choice for the work you desc ribed, but you should know that if you are only working on material 1/2" th ick, a butt chisel with the bevel eased back a bit on the edge will work ju st fine.
The chisels to stay away from no matter how tempting are the new Buck Broth ers, and in that line nothing newer than about 25 years old. No Sears Comp anion line, although I have been pleased with utility value of their old ro und handled butt chisel line. No generic "Sheffield brand" which are now s old as a brand, not as a particular steel product. No Harbor Freight. No off brands that are poorly milled and poorly finished.
One last thing, check this out for a ton of really valuable information and some good opinions:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?162740-First-Bench-Chisels-Advic e-Needed
Good luck!
Robert
On Sat, 30 Apr 2016 00:02:47 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Thanks for all of that (saved), Robert. How does one go about determining what one is buying? Obviously expensive doesn't mean good. One would think LN would be pretty decent, given that their prices are in the Festoolsphere.

I thought the article raved about "LN" (I'm assuming Lie-Nielsen) chisels, although I didn't read the entire article (gotta join).

Likewise. Great info.
I have this Narex paring chisel in 1/4":
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?pq290&cat=1,41504
Seems like everyone is selling a different brand, yet not both of the two things I need ('zuki saw + 3/8" bench chisel). Is that Grizzly Japanese wannabe (not Matsumura) any good? It's still under $20.
I figure the Narex paring chisel will do the job, I jes need a 3/8" "bench"(?) chisel to "cut" the wood slots from both sides. I'm looking at coping saws, too.
I also acquired an old backsaw from a cheapo mitre saw set. It's all rusty, but I got plenty of wet/dry.
Right now, I gotta order some parts fer my old Workmate 225.
Thnx fer all the great info. ;)
nb

I was at Highland, looking at chisels, last Wednesday but didn't buy anything - confused (too many choices ;-). I'll probably be back Thursday (have to be in the area to see a surgeon about a scary-sharp knife). I'll probably look again.

Try Highland and if you're ever in Atlanta, it's an awesome store. They carry the whole line of green tools, in the store, too. ;-)

My miter saw isn't all that cheap but it's not a backsaw. I don't use it much anymore.

I think I have that model. It's pretty battle scarred, too. Not sure where it is, though.