Which chisel?

I bought a Narex paring chisel in 1/4". I figure it should do fer any corner cleaning I need on 1/2" finger joints. So, I plan on 1/2" finger joints made with a Japanese pull saw and cleaning up any cruddy corners with the paring chisel.

Howzabout those 1/2" flats on the bottom of finger slots? I see how a paring chisel cleans out corners and such, but what about chiseling the sqr bottom of a finger joint. Izzat a different type of chisel used to cut the flats between the 2 saw kerfs? If so, what kind?

____ ____ | | kerf--->| |

Reply to
notbob

____ ____ | | kerf--->| |

Reply to
Spalted Walt

I forgot nada.

I've seen a coping saw used, on youtube. I kinda wanted to stay away from that option. I think I might have a jewelers coping saw or I may have given it to a pretty girl I was hitting on. Too old to recall. I'll check.

You still haven't answered my question. A butt chisel or "bench" chisel? Is there a difference? Lee Valley shows a Veritas® bench chisel doing precisely what I need, but I don't have $70 to blow ona single 1/2" chisel:

nb

Reply to
notbob

The 1/2 inch Narex bevel edge is 12 bucks US.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Thanks, John.

I was trying to get a purchase price up to "free shipping" on Amazon, as Lee Valley Tools is pretty cool, but!!....they insist on charging shipping based on the purchase of a single chisel.

IOW, you wanna buy 3 chisels and Lee will charge $8 shipping per chisel, not put all three chisels in the same box and charge shipping fer the weight of one box. Believe me. I called and asked.

I bought a single Narex 1/4" paring chisel from Lee. The box woulda easily held 20+ chisels, yet they wanted to charge shipping fer ea chisel I may have purchased. Sorry, but I prefer not to be chiseled! (snork) ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Lee Valley shipping charges are based on the dollar value of the order - period. It has always been this way. They began as a " mail order company " ...

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Rather than playing the '1 chissel at a time' game why not just get a set of good BENCH chissels and go from there?

If you insist on only buing a 1/2" (bench or butt) chissel to clean out a 1/2" box joint you're going to wish you'd had gotten a 3/8" instead.

Jess sayin'...

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Order at "The Woodworking Shows", if available in your area, and get free shipping.

Reply to
Bill

Gee, too bad yer not the LV rep I talked to on the phone.

I thought I would be charged by the actual cost of shipping the tools I ordered, not what LV happens to charge for shipping 'em. I can buy a 1/2" Sweetheart chisel fer $39 on Amazon, $34 at LV. Only prob is, LV wants $8 fer shipping fer that particular chisel. I wanted to order one Narex chisel and one Sweetheart chisel. LV wanted to charge me $8 each fer shipping. That's $16 fer a box w/ 2 chisels. The same box they shipped one chisel in and a box that could have easily held

10-20 chisels. You do the math. Myself? I know when I'm being ripped off.

Bottom line, Amazon will ship fer free after $49. I'm at $40-something fer tha pull-saw. If I don't need some kinda big $$$$ special order chisel, I can make $49 easy.

nb --fixed income

Reply to
notbob

notbob wrote in news:dof6oeFlng0U2 @mid.individual.net:

Hmmm, I wouldn't have recommended getting a paring chisel for the first chisel - you can make paring cuts with a bench chisel, but it's usually not a good idea to pound on a paring chisel with a mallet.

Anyway, to remove the wood between the fingers, you basically go straight down with the chisel, going half way thru from one side and then from the other. Ideally your kerfs are precise, and if it's a half inch spacing then you use a half inch chisel In practice, if you're even a little narrow the chisel will bind, and you'll end up using a narrower one, then paring the sides to the right width. However, it's easier to keep every thing straight if there's some overlap (i.e. two cuts of 3/8 to make 1/2 rather than two of 1/4).

You can use a paring chisel, either hitting it with the butt of your hand, or gently with a mallet, but a bevel edge bench chisel would be the more suitable tool. You'll want to take out chips to make a V groove by first making a vertical cut on your line, then an angle cut in the waste, and repeating until you're close to the middle. Then turn over and do the same from the other side.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Can you say "money"?

I'm happy you can afford whole "sets". I cannot.

I'm retired and on a fixed income and right now, $$$$ is in short supply. Yet I still wanna buy good tools. Solve that dilemma and I'll invite you over fer dinner. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

I agree. This jives with the U2B videos I've seen. I understand about the paring chisels. That why I bought a 1/4" paring chisel. It's that "going half way thru from one side and then from the other", chisel that I'm looking for. Heck, I'll go 3/8" fer a 1/2" joint, no problem. The U2B vid I watched also did that.

Thank you! Was that so hard? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

The web link shows the shipping charges quite clearly. Sorry about any mis-understandings with the phone rep. I suspect that it is a very rare thing with LV. Look for their free-shipping events - 4 or 5 times per year - $ 40. minimum order usually. John T.

Reply to
hubops

I sincerely hope so, cuz I really do like LV.

Been there, saw that. Jes last week, in fact. Unfortunately, I didn't have any disposable income until this week, when they are not having a "free-shipping event". Life sucks, then you die. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Perhaps you need to prioritize your hobbies: Message-ID: Message-ID:

Caviar tool-taste on a sardine budget? Change your nym to notable or notwilling.

dilemma solved!

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Perhaps I need to repair my kitchen.

Yes. Quite the burden. (sigh)

Nah. Too exp[a|e]nsive. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Go to your neighborhood flea market this weekend.

What's for dinner?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

On 04/28/2016 6:05 PM, notbob wrote: ...

If you're not in a hurry, watch eBay for estate clearance stuff and the like...not infrequently there is really good quality stuff for minimal prices but you've got to be able to discern what is and isn't and have the patience to wait for it...

Or, as another posted, yard sales and the like are essentially the same process on foot with advantages (get to see it first) and disadvantages (do have to go do the legwork to get there while there's still something to be seen).

Reply to
dpb

Spalted Walt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Wanting to buy good tools isn't "caviar taste". We all know (or should) that buying a crappy tool just means you have to buy it over again when it fails.

It seems to me notbob is doing the right thing in looking for decent quality at a fair price, and filling the tool cabinet a bit at a time.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Thanks, John. That's precisely what I'm trying to do.

I figure if I can get my workmate fixed and get a Nippon pull saw, I can make the drawer box I need, plus learn something in the process.

I'm trying to do it for the least expense, yet I know I'll be doing more drawers before I'm through. Prolly a face frame, also. My buddy

--with a lotta pwr tools-- will be up here in another month, then things will change. He has a table saw, dado sets, a router plus table, etc. All the stuff I need to knock these babies out by the score. Until then, I spend what I can afford w/o buying junk. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob