which blade

I'm going shopping today for a new blade for my circular saw. I'm using it to cut 3/4 and 1/4 birch plywood.

What tooth counts works best? I've heard that carbide tips works best also.

Reply to
rolsonDesign

Assumptions:

7 1/4" saw blade

If I am just cutting the plywood down to a close size, and intend to finish cut it with the table saw, most any carbide tipped 20 - 26 tooth blade does the job. If (for a reason I could not fathom) I needed to make the finish cut with my circular saw, a 40+ tooth blade would be my choice. BTW Bosch makes a real nice set of blades for the circular saw.

Table saw: The Ridge Carbide TS 2000 or the Forrest Woodworker ll work equally well.

Dave

Teamcasa

I don't have a table saw.

Would you recommend mak> > I'm going shopping today for a new blade for my circular saw. I'm

Reply to
rolsonDesign

Definitely get carbide teeth - amazing difference compared to plain steel. More teeth = smoother finish. I'd look for a 40tooth "finishing" blade by Freud - they make some good stuff for good prices and are often available in the big-box stores. I have a 24tooth Freud Diablo blade (

Reply to
Andy

Thanks, I think I'll stick with the $10-$15 blade from HD.

Andy wrote:

Andy

Reply to
rolsonDesign

"rolsonDesign"

Unless you plan on having exposed ends on the plywood (I can't imagine why.), a circular saw with a 40+ tooth carbide blade along with a straight edge to guide the saw, will do fine.

You could also make a zero clerance foot for the circulair saw for a very nice edge.

Teamcasa

I've used the Freud Diablo blade on my skil-saw type device, and been very happy with the results. That was with 3/4" plywood, making a workbench/shelf. Not sure how well it will do with 1/4"; I picture a lot more vibration and possibly more splintering. I didn't feel the need to dress the edges of the workbench after cutting it.

Clint

> Andy

Reply to
Clint

Look up sawboards, this should also help with vibrations on the 1/4" stock.

Reply to
Randal