Which bit to use for oak

Hi,1st,post in here.
I have a couple of old oak barrels that have been outside in all elements, rather than throow them aside, I want to cut holes in the sides and use them as Strawberry/Herb planters; I used a Hole saw to cut through a couple of holes and unfortunately, these have been blunted very quickly, I wondered if there is a specific bit that would cut through without blunting as quickly as these did?

There are hole saws, and there are hole saw. Are you using Vermont American or Lennox?
The first is crap, the second it a professional grade tool.
How large of a hole? Are there any bits of sand or grit on the wood? They will destroy a blade.

What brand or quality of saw did you use? A Morse or Starret hole saw can be repeatedly used to drill through steel plate before dulling to the point of being unusable.
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 11:55:36 GMT, "D@H" <No

Get a hole saw made in the USA rather than China--BIG difference.
I think Phisherman has hit the nail on the head here,I don't kknoe the brand name, but it is very cheaply made.
Thanks for reply's
Go to a tool store and buy a carbide tipped hole saw
Pete