Which biscuits would you recommend?

I just purchased the Dewalt biscuit joiner and now I am looking for quality/reliable biscuits.
What do you all recommend? I have read mixed reviews on the PC biscuits. Should I buy biscuits in bulk or do they swell over time?
Your input would be very much appreciated.

I bought PC biscuits for my DeWalt plate jointer. 2000 assorted biscuits of three types. They come in plastic bags in a cardboard box. As I opened the bags, the unused portions go in a largish plastic, former peanut butter jar. I've used maybe 1200 of those biscuits over the last five or six years, and they are still just fine.
BTW, don't buy the FF size biscuits for your DeWalt. They don't fit the DeWalt cutter size.
Patriarch

I'm curious as to what qualities you look for in a biscuit? As long as they fit in the slot, I'm happy.
I think all biscuits will swell over time unless kept in a sealed environment with desiccants.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com
Stoutman wrote:

Not to turn it around but what qualities are there to look for other than premature swelling, consistent thickness and no chipping or breaking? Can I expect these qualities from all brands? I don't want to over analyze this so I was hoping there might be some favourite reliable brands out there as I am new to this type of joinery.
BTW, the first biscuits I purchase was a small plastic 'tin' of PC FF biscuits because I need to glue on a face frame (5/8 x 5/8 x-sect). Damn! Are you sure they won't work with it? I was wondering myself as the predetermined depth stops only go as shallow as to fit a 0 biscuit.

The PC FF biscuits are quite a bit smaller than a #0 biscuit. I have a PC biscuit joiner, and use the FF biscuits frequently. There is a separate depth setting for FF biscuits **and** a different (smaller) blade.
Bottom line: trying to cut slots for FF biscuits with a machine that wasn't intended for that use will not be a successful endeavor.
--
Regards,
I use the lamello biscuits, they are reasonably priced where I get them, and a box of 1000 doesn't swell up on me over the 2 months it takes to use them, no matter what time of year it is.

I can second the Lamello brand. Very good quality, even, strong, hardwood -- I keep mine in a 2 gallon bucket with a very tight lid and they are still as good as new after 4-5 years! (I was out of the wood-shop for over 2 1/2 years with a torn tendon).
Only other brand I've used was BIX and they're crap by comparison; limp pine, weak, uneven, swell up ... ended up giving virtually a full box away.
-Peter

I've got some Porter Cable biscuits over 8 years old that still work just fine; but then I live in a pretty dry area, overall.
scott

them not fitting properly on miter joints, probably because I couldn't get enough clamping pressure to force them. I measured 100 of them and found they varied a whole lot more then I would think proper. By using the smallest ones my miter joints were fine. (afterwards I deepened the slot a hair, just to be on the safe side)
I am going to Lamello next time. BTW, PC are not compressed; they claim it doesn't matter. As far as I know, all others are.
Toller wrote:

Same with me.

I've had luck shrinking PC biscuits by heating them in the microwave. I toss the swollen biscuits in a Ziploc, and when I have a bunch, I spread them out on a glass plate and microwave 'till hot. When they cool off, they've usually shrunken.
I bought biscuits in bulk and keep them in an open top plastic container (actually a storage drawer) with a couple of desiccants I took from the box of a new pair of shoes. They've been in the container for over a year and a half now, and haven't swelled at all. I must admit i've no idea what sort they are, but I'll have a look when I get home to see if I can find out.
I think as long as it's not too humid a condition they should be fine.
Barry
www.woodworking wizkids.co.uk

The ones I have are beech hardwood and supposedly recommended as ideal for biscuit use.

I've seen the same reviews but haven't had much trouble with the PC biscuits myself. I've used biscuits from DeWalt, PC, Lamello, & Wolcraft. It's not unusual to throw a few out during the dry fit stage, maybe PC is worse in this regard than the others. Are the PC brand biscuits even available any more? At any rate none have impressed me one way or the other as worth seeking out or staying away from.
I always buy a few hundred to maybe 500 at a time. As long as you keep them in an airtight container shelf life won't be a problem. Actually, I've been reusing the same old original PC plastic bottles for biscuit storage that I bought maybe 7 or 8 years ago.
--
Often wrong, never in doubt.

Okay. So from the gist of the replies, it really doesn't matter who supplies them, PC biscuits are not too bad but Lamello is the best.
Thank you all for your input.
snipped-for-privacy@fellspt.charm.net wrote:

maico wrote:

Some good info to be found here...: http://www.biscuit.org.uk /

Yeah....

I use Lemello biscuits. Buy what you can use within a year. Store in an air-tight container. I probably would not buy biscuits that are not in an air-tight container.

Please, please, please, DO NOT move to Tucson. But if you did, you wouldn't have to worry about air-tight containers. [grin]