Which 8" jointer can go close to a wall?

I'm looking at upgrading to a 8" jointer from 6". In my small shop, the jointer sits against a wall on wheels - small stuff gets jointed in place, longer stuff I pull it out. When it's against the wall, how far it protrudes is a big deal - too much and it pinches travel between it and my work bench.

Hard to tell w/o examing them in person how far various models stick out - for instance the Delta professional line is horrible because the rack and pinon toothed bar sticks way out the back, where the DJ-20 isn't nearly so bad.

Anyone able to comment on the Griz G0500 - the current top runner? Or other models?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Campbell

Jim: I doubt if you are going to see much difference among the 8" machines. As far as that goes, considering the importance of a good surfacing performance and the fairly large investment, the best compromise might be to wiggle between it and the bench.

The reason I said you'll not see a lot of difference is the width of most of the machines is determined by: the width of the table, the width of the fence mechanism and a little bit of cabinet on the front. My son-in-law just bought a G0500 (great looking machine) and I have looked at the bigger Jets and Powermatics. I didn't measure them, but the fence mechanism on the Griz is very similar, in size and appearance, to the others. If don't know if the Griz is a knock-off design but the are similar. Go with the best machine and deal.

Ron

Reply to
RonB

Jim Campbell wrote: [snip]

The Griz is 24 1/2" front to back with the fence all the way back. j4

Reply to
jo4hn

I have the G0500... I just measured an it appears to be 24" front to back with the fence pushed towards the front of the machine.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

As long as you stay away from the rack and pinion fences the depth of the 8" jointers in general aren't appreciably more than the 6" jointers on stands. For example, I went from a Reliant 6" to a DJ-20 and there is only a couple-three inches difference in depth. Of course the DJ-20 infeed table alone is only 2" shorter than the whole 6" jointer... but you didn't ask about length. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin