Which 3hp bandsaw to buy? Grizzly/Jet?

Page 1 of 2
I just sold my 14" Delta because it really wasn't up to cutting big turning blocks. So now I am under the gun to order its 3hp replacement.
The two choices seem to be the 19" Grizzly and the 18" Jet. Any reason to pay a few hundred more for the Jet? (I am planning on the old Grizzly 19" because it is cheaper than the new ones. The main differance seems to be the cast iron trunnions, but those can't be worth $200, can they?) I know the Rikon is well regarded, but they don't seem to have a 3hp.
There are better saws out there for bigger bucks, but if I use it 50 hours a year that will be a lot; so industrial quality would not be a good investment.

Where'd you get stuck on the idea of needing 3 hp? The right blade and setup are a lot more important on a BS than the hp of the motor. I think the bigger wheels need more power so that's why the hp goes up with the size of the saw. I just find it strange that you're starting with "3 hp" when most people start with the capacity.
-Leuf

As you might expect, the blade is so battered that it barely has teeth; yet it goes through 20/4 oak easier than my 1hp Delta with a brand new good blade. The bigger wheels much contribute an awful lot of moment to get through any sticking points.
If it were available, I would actually prefer a 14" with a 3hp motor; as long as it cut 12". I was tempted by the European 16" saws, but they are just too expensive.
Toller wrote:

"brand new good" doesn't necessarily mean proper. And there are good blades and *GOOD* blades. _____________

They would/could increase blade speed. ________________

No reason that you couldn't have replaced the 1hp with a 3hp.
What - exactly - was your problem? And blade? Five inch oak really shouldn't be a problem.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
Leuf wrote:

But it does have 2 speeds an the lower speed has a lot of torque.
--
It's turtles, all the way down

that has roller bearings. Rikon just happens to only come with roller guide bearings.
As far as what to look for, I would pay more attention to the mass of the upper and lower wheels. The more mass the more smooth the saw will operate in heavier cutting. You might want to go to the Laguna site and take a look at those saws. I do not know what your price range is but the Laguna will probably be your last BS and probably has a 99.9% chance of satisfying all your needs with out compromise. The Laguna BS's come with 10 point ceramic guides that tend to be self cleaning and don't vibrate.
I went through this in the Winter and Spring of last year. I had an old Craftsman, bought the 18" Rikon, kept it for about 10 days and returned it. A couple months later I bought a Laguna.

really a Laguna either... Or maybe it is.
<snip>

Laguna is a reseller/distributor of excellent machines, built by others, elsewhere. 'Really a Laguna' is an interesting concept.
They seem worth their price, according to most who own/use them.
Patriarch

This is true however they do modifications once they hit the US. For instance they add the Baldor motors and IIRC add the unique and patented 10 point ceramic guide system.

The HD series are built in Italy, The lighter weight series are built in Bulgaria. I bought the LT16HD. I would think that either unit would be better than the Griz of Jet.
Leon wrote:

I think I made this comment before, but I have the Rikon and indeed the guides did load up. After cutting a dozen or two green logs I stopped, cleaned the guides and the blade, and wiped the blade with some version of TopCote - not that brand but something similar. I then cut another 30 or 40 blanks with no more problems.
I can't swear that the technique will work for everyone, but based on my experience it's certainly worth a try. Not just on the Rikon, but on any roller guide bandsaw.
-- It's turtles, all the way down
Toller
I have an Oneida dust collection system installed in my shop and an older 16" Grizzly band saw. You are welcome to stop by and check them out, I am located in Brighton.
Toller wrote:

Which state/country?
-- Mark
I appreciate the offer, but have pretty decided on the Grizzly; I am just trying to work up the nerve to actually order it. Getting the beast into my basement is intimidating.
Wednesday I am driving to Syracuse to pick up my new Oneida "Portable" and "Dust Deputy".
If you know anyone who needs a DC, my old one is on Craig's list.

price sellers don't seem to know what the freight charge is. (I am guessing $1,600) The Laguna LT16 is $1800. No matter how good it is, it can't be worth 60% more than the Grizzly.

;~) Don't use a Laguna if you buy the Griz.

You tried them both?
wrote in message

But Grizzly would have to be real crap to be worth that much less than Laguna, and people seem happy with Grizzly in general, so it probably isn't crap.

Grizzly used to have a service where you could ask them for someone in your area with the exact model you were contemplating, and they would hook you up so you could try one out. You might want to call and see if they still do that.
steve
wrote in message

I'm sure it is not "crap", but you said the Laguna can't be worth 60% more. How did you arrive at that conclusion?