Which 18v or better package

Anyone have an opinion as to which 18v power tool package is the best buy. I have been looking at hitachi, dewalt and Black and Decker but would like to know from somone with experience. The circular saw is my main concern followed by the reciprocating saw. Thanks! Cary snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
CChar1151
    • P
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

1 Hitachi 2 DeWalt forget B&D
Reply to
P©WÉ®T©©LMAN

No experience other than I stopped buying B&D when my CORDLESS Bosch drilled through concrete that my CORDED B&D couldn't.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I'm getting just a little bit cynical about cordless drills, because they change and mutate like the Aids virus and have become a throwawy item. The one

18V I was most interested in because of its compact size and decent quality/ price was the Hitachi, but it has a 3/8 chuck instead of 1/2", so you're on your own.
Reply to
BUB 209

I was just gifted with a set of 18v Dewalt tools. Very nice, and I've used 'em on a couple of projects already. As someone else said, forget B&D.

One data point.

KB

Reply to
Kyle Boatright

I have the Milwaukee drill and saw combo. I would not trade it for anything. At the time I bought it the "rebate" was another battery, so there is one in each tool and one in the charger.

I retired an OLD (50+ years) Craftsman saw (bearings start to wear out) and started using this one for every thing. 2x material, plywood, PT, plunge cutting and used it a bunch for cutting hardiplank siding (about

50% concrete) it has never given me a bit of trouble and had more power that I could have imagined.

I have used the drill for everything from frostner bits in birch plywood to 5/8 spade bit on a 3' extension drillin holes for rebar in PT landscape timbers. Keyless chuck is easy to use and grips well.

BRuce

CChar1151 wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

If price is not the primary concern, I'd look at:

DeWalt - DW4KIT-2 Includes Hammerdrill, Saw, Recip, and Flashlight

Makita - DK1052DLX Includes Hammerdrill, Saw, Recip, and Flashlight

Milwaukee 0923-29 Includes Hammerdrill, Saw, Hatchet Repic, and Flashlight

All of them are going to run from $470 - $500.

From what I've seen in for repair:

Makita makes the best drill and charger. They also use NiMH batteries instead of Nicad giving you more run time. DeWalt makes the best circ saw and regular recip. Milwaukee has the most versatile recip with the hatchet.

There are kits from Porter Cable and Bosch which are also good. If you find a good price on any of these kits, you'll be very pleased with their performance. The bottom line: whatever fits your hand the best is the one to buy. They are all of good quality.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I have the 14V Dewalt stuff (two drills and circ saw) and I'm very impressed with their power and battery. The circ saw is the smaller version and barely cuts a 2x4, but it is extremely handy to have, even if I do have to cut slow. Both tools are built very well and the keyless is great. The XPR (? think I have that right) charger is very quick. The 18V must be even better. I would rebuy deWalt cordless in a second!

Reply to
Subw00er