Which 15" planer?

Can anyone recommend a 15" planer?

Does anyone remember a recent magazine review?

Thanks!

Reply to
Rob

search for "review 15" wood planer"

22,200 hits for review 15" wood planer. (0.17 seconds)
Reply to
Bruce

FineWoodWorking's Tools & Shops 2002/2003 ed. did a review on 13" portable planers. It would appear that you get more bang for your buck with both the DeWalt and the Ridgid 13" Planers. I know your asking for the larger style 15" and that's why I was going to recommend mine. I recently purchased the Bridgewood Model BW-15P Wood Planer for $995.00 U.S. direct form Wilke Machinery. Customer service is out of this world. The company really wants your business and will accommodate you in every which way. Give them a call, I'm sure you'll be pleased. Here's the link:

Luck.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

I like the moveable motor over moveable table kind. Makes it easier to plan cabinet heights in a small shop.

I assume that your choice of an iron planer means you're going to do more extensive planing than is practical with a lunchbox type, so plan your area to allow stock on the same pass to be placed to one side awaiting, one side complete.

If you're a board or two at a time - get a universal motor type.

Check FWW for a review.

Reply to
George

Jet. Had for about 2 yrs now. Runs well. Blades are about $70-80 a pop. Would also check Powermatic and Grizzly.

Reply to
RTH

Well since you're in the market for a class above the benchtop, universal motor types, take a look at a top end (for small shops) in the Powermatic with helical cutting heads. Its in a league by itself.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Davis

I've had the Grizzly 15", open stand planer for a few years. It works great. Out of the crate ready to go. Gives a good finish at the slower speed. It doesn't bog down at all. It claims to take 1/8" max per pass, but you can't get that much under the shield that prevents taking too big a cut. I typically do about 1/16" per pass to minimize tearout anyway, with 1/32" per pass on the final passes (depends on wood). You can't take much less than 1/32" or the serrated feed roller will leave marks.

What I like about it: 1) power, 2) all metal rollers (front serrated and rear solid), 3) anti-kickback pawls, 4) size, 5) keeps settings (I've never had to adjust it, other than thikness obviously!, hundreds of bf passed through), and 6) price.

What I don't like about it: 1) changing blades. You have to do a fair amount of dissassembly to use the planer pals (there isn't quite enough space with the chip breaker). You can use the jig that comes with it, but it seemed a little sloppy for something you want the blades within a couple thou on. Figure 45 minutes plus sharpening time - of course this isn't done all that often. The blades come sharp, but were sharper after I did them myself. They are pretty beefy blades, my guess is I'll get plenty of resharpenings.

Pretty good deal IMO.

Reply to
Tom Bergman

I purchased a SunHill 15" planer used from a cabinet shop. It had been an excellent planner. No snipe and a great finish.

Previous to my sunhill I purchased a Harbor Freight 16" planer. It was so bad I sent it back.

Reply to
Oughtsix