Where to turn from Amazon

Page 1 of 2  

Just went to amazon and was surprised by their commercial/sponsorship of Bill Maher. I closed my account with them.
So now where do I turn to buy tools online? I have only ever made one other tool purchase online and it was from www.holbren.com when I wanted to try an inexpensive raised panel set.
Any recommendations of online stores that sell tools?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

ToolKing is occasionally competitive, as is Coastal Tool.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Toller wrote:

watch his show or the ad/commercial 'fishbowl' from Amazon. If you think what he has to say is funny then buy from amazon so they can pay him, I won't.
Doesn't mean the only person I find funny is Mel Gibson; I'm a regular watcher of the Daily Show and I find Chris Rock hysterical. Maher is a twisted, hate-filled guy and I'm not going to support his habit.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

really offensive on the air? I only saw it a few times but thought it was clever; maybe I saw the wrong ones. What is he doing now beside the Amazon thing?
On the other hand, the Daily Show can be pretty nasty at times; my son watches it religiously...
I suggest you write Amazon and tell them that you intend to stop shopping there if they continue it. Just stopping, without anyone knowing about it, won't do much.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Toller wrote:
> Wasn't he the guy who lost his show a few years back when he did something > really offensive on the air?
Yep, he is the one.
Stated the obvious, which may have offended those in control, got fired for it.
Understand he has a show on HBO, but I don't have cable, so can't confirm it.
Whether you like him or not is not the point, the fact that he speaks his mind is, IMHO.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Toller wrote:

I wrote to Amazon CS when I closed my account and told them why I wanted my account closed. I wouldn't have cared that much if they hadn't thrown it right in my face on their home page.
If you think the daily show can be nasty you must have never seen Maher's show on HBO.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

He lost his show after 9-11 when he objected to calling the attack "cowardly". Something along the lines of you could use a lot of words to describe it, but cowardly isn't one of them, and it takes more courage to put yourself on the plane that's going to blow up than to launch cruise missiles from 1000 miles away.
He said it a little too close to the event and people overreacted.
What he's been up to since then I don't know.
-Leuf
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Toller wrote:

Not exactly.
He said something that wasn't very offensive, but that didn't stop people from taking umbrage.
His show was canceled because it had never finished any better than second in the ratings in its timeslot in any market, and the network wanted to replace it with something that would do better against _Nightline_. I don't know what they replaced it with, probably because whatever it was wasn't worth watching at all. Of course since then ABC has watered down _NIghtline_ so that it is seldom worth watching either.
--

FF


Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Maher is a twisted, hate-filled guy and I'm not going to support his habit.
So's Bill O'Reilly. At least Maher doesn't sexually harass his staff.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Buck Turgidson wrote:

Not really the point at all. Matter of fact, no relevance whatsoever.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Yeah I noticed Maher's mug the last time I logged on. I won't quit using them but I am very surprised that a seemingly market-savvey group like Amazon would alienate about 1/2 of the world by using him. Actually, I buy many items offered by Amazon cheaper from locals.
A couple of ideas:
http://www.leevalley.com/home.aspx A lot of the folks who hang around here, including myself, use them and I don't recall ever seeing a sour post about them. Good products, great variety and very good service. If you haven't used them I would recommend logging on and ordering ALL OF THEIR CATALOGUES. When they arrive those alone will keep you busy for a couple of evenings. Even the wife enjoys looking through the tool and garden catalogues. Lots of neat stuff.
http://www.grizzly.com/ Perhaps a little more controversy here. Some love 'em, some don't. I have had excellent luck with their products and service. We have also been to their Springfield showroom and it is first-class. In addition to their own line of tools and equipment they also sell Dewalt, Porter Cable, Milwaukee and lots of other lines. They also sell items that are difficult to find otherwise. Here again, order a copy of their paper catalogue and reserve an evening for browsing. But you can order anything on-line too.
There are others like Woodcraft, http://www.woodcraft.com /, but their prices seem to be on a continual climb. They do handle some more specialized items like specialized hand-saws, etc but you can get most of that from Lee Valley.
RonB

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
I have only seen BM a few times and thought he was funny and his politics were similar to mine.I can understand someone not liking his humor or politics, but I cant understand why someone would boycott Amazon which I also personally like. Amazon promotes books and music from people that I like and dislike who cares.If they promote our war president who I disagree with and think he is not very Presidential who cares. The fact that Amazon Fishbowl with Bill Maher,is by presented by UPS and Cingular, should I boycott my Cell carrier and UPS my life blood in business.Of course not. Amazon is a business making a buck from this stuff in a country of free speech. I am curious to any one that boycotts Amazon because of BM politics, do you boycott things like clothing made with child labor, tools from countries that allow child prostitution, oil from countries that you may disagree with, etc,etc. Happy woodwoking.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
henry wrote:

go to shop. It wasn't a book he wrote but an internet show with the usual BM content right on the front page. Maybe the items I bought there in the past flagged me as somebody who would be interested in watching it. Somehow I doubt it since the last book I read was either first blood (much better than the movie) or It.

'picked' by children working on family farms in this country or India or wherever else cotton grows.

prostitution in this country and I would buy a US made tool.

sure the country it came from and I could be selective I certainly wouldn't support the House of 'Fraud'.
Everybody has their own idea of good companies and bad companies, there are people who don't buy Coors' because of the Coors family. I buy it because I don't like beer and Coors' Light is the closest thing you can get to water in a beer. Some people don't shop at Wal Mart because of the Waltons, I don't shop there because most of the stuff is crap and the stuff that isn't is the same price at every other store.

won't be sweating by 8:00.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Personally, there were times that I liked BM, others that I thought he was over the line...
In reflection, what would you EXPECT from a show called "politically Incorrect? Mac
https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis/wood_stuff.htm
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RayV wrote:
> Just went to amazon and was surprised by their commercial/sponsorship > of Bill Maher. I closed my account with them.
I take it you have a problem with Maher.
Lew
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Sorry to hear you ditched Amazon. It would take an aweful lot to get me to stop shopping Amazon. I am curious too... what's the beef about Bill Maher?
http://www.pennstateind/com http://www.toolking.com
Good luck!
PS... I occasionally surf the net to see what new places are popping up and providing good deals.I have found a few good places this this way
I recently upgraded my SD card and got a 4GB for $119 with a $30 rebate which is the shelf price for a 2GB at any local store (Best Buy,etc.). Was my lucky day :)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
RayV wrote:

Seems both childish and is a useless protest of sorts. No one will care but you, but I guess you care more about making a statement than having a decent source of tools. Whatever.
Dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David wrote:

That was an asshole thing to say, Dave. Every dollar you spend is a vote. Remember that. You don't like a company or their policies, you don't patronize them. Sounds like that's what the OP is doing. Seems reasonable to me.
I like Northern Tool myself (http://www.northerntool.com), but have also used Coastal. Both good sources. Personally, I only buy online anymore when I need something not stocked locally. I like to support the local guys, cause they always take care of my business.
And for the record, I also think Maher is an asshole. He's a lot like Carlin...pretty much everything that comes out of his mouth these days is spew. They both used to be funny, though, now all they both seem to want to do is shit all over America.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I also spread my dollars around, including northerntool.com, but the last transaction left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll skip the details, as they matter only to me.
And don't put me in the same category as Maher. I can't stand him. Next time play nice; just because you don't like my opinion, you've no call to hurl insults. Grow up.
dave
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
David wrote:

Let me get this straight...YOU were the one who called the OP's actions "childish," and you're saying I'VE hurled insults? Wow...physician heal thyself.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

    HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.