On what?
Add pictures here
✖
wrote in message

On what? ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As in Depends Adult Diapers.
Add pictures here
✖

I'd rather be pissed off than pissed on.
Add pictures here
✖

I measure them against one from the bin before putting them back.

I have half a wall of stacking bins, up to workbench height. For my most common species I have one for 3/4" and up and one for thins. Less common have one bin, and really uncommon get mixed together into one. If it doesn't fit in the bin either it goes in the trash or something else has to come out of the bin into the trash to make it fit. I sometimes bend the rules and pile up some scraps on the floor or somewhere until it's time to clean up, but when I clean up that's it. It also makes a good place to stack up some boards on top out of the way.
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 26, 5:51 pm, snipped-for-privacy@YAHOO.COM wrote:

I do the same thing, sort of. My screw bins have a little measuring gauge on the front edge of each of them. I file a little notch on one end, into which the edge of the head slips, and then there is a line at the end that shows how long the screw should be for that particular bin. I've also got a "Random Screw" bin that I'll use if length isn't vital, and which will occasionally get cleaned out and reorganized if I'm feeling ambitious and not particularly concerned about how much time is (or isn't!) worth.
JP
Add pictures here
✖
Am I the only one who reuses screws? Not for important stuff, but certain for jigs and other insignificant stuff.
--

-MIKE-

✖
-MIKE- wrote:

Depends on the screws. Machine screws that aren't buggered up yes. But I've spun the heads off of enough good quality screws on the second use to not want the hassle--it's not the putting them in that's the issue, it's getting the thing apart later.
--John
✖
-MIKE- wrote:

I often toss them during cleanup, unless the bin is already out.
It also depends on the quantity. Just a few go into the metal recycling bin. A decent number is worth putting back.
Add pictures here
✖
-MIKE- wrote:

Just not worth it, especially when you buy fastners by the full box.
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

I hear you.
I have a bunch of those little gray hanging containers from HF. I guy the 24 pack, just about every time it's on sale for 6 bucks. I've gotten into the habit of pulling a few for any project/process and having them there for misc pieces/parts. I always have a half dozen or so at the top of the rack, just for used fasteners. Whenever I'm throwing something together, I always scan those bins first, before moving to the new ones.
--

-MIKE-

✖
"-MIKE-" wrote:

My money says you spend more on containers than you save by re-using old screws, and that doesn't include the space required for storage or the time spent trying to reclaim them.
Does the term "pack rat" or "I might need that someday" come to mind?<grin>
Lew
Add pictures here
✖

Guilty as charged! You're right. I'm dumping then, next time I'm out there.
--

-MIKE-

✖
"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Tom Watson's "Golden Bucket of Crap", in which I can generally find what I need in a pinch, has saved many an unplanned trip to the hardware store ... and there is NOTHING more aggravating in the middle of doing something in the shop than to stop and make an unplanned trip to the hardware store.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
"Swingman" wrote:

Understand; however, does that old saying that goes something like, "Your lack of planning is not my problem", come to mind?<grin>
Seriously, have been in once of those "Ah Shit" moments a few times, but have found that standardizing on a few faatners and then making sure they are in stock gooes a long way.
I sometimes find myself working in metal, fiberglass, and/or wood, a lot of it for a boat.
As a result, have standardized on stainless seel. coarse thread, self tapping, sheet metal screws in both pan head and flat head.
Purchasing standard box quantities keeps costs in line.
Stock 3/4", 1-1/4", 1-1/2" and 2" lengths.
Surprising how few times I don't find something thast works for the job at hand.
YMMV
And yes, also have a mason jar full of odd ball left overs, just in case<grin>, but NO steel.. Lew
Add pictures here
✖
Swingman wrote:

I've built entire things out of the bucket 'o crap.
Stop it, though, you're turning me back to the dark side. :-)
--

-MIKE-

✖

About once every 20 years I chunk the GB'oC and start over. When I moved the shop back in October I took the opportunity to chunk the old and start growing the new ... it's not bucket size yet, only Glad, throwaway plastic container size, but it's growing.
... and the unplanned trips to the hardware store are getting noticeable fewer as the "Buy 10 to get 4, Rule of Hardware Purchase" kicks in.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

The thing about the bucket of crap is that it's usally crap.
A few years back I standardized in square drive. By comparrison the recyled pile (oh yes I have one ) is, yes, crap. Not to sound like an advertisement but it's true. Given the choice of a (even pre-used) Mc Feeley's square-drive screw and a "lord knows what phillips/slotted"... I'll take the screw from the proper inventory.
I have been riduculed by my dad for my crappy "spares" collection..... but I got him using square-drive too :-).
I guess that I fall into the "keep a decent inventory of qaulity fasteners and the problem becomes moot" camp.
-Steve
Add pictures here
✖
C & S wrote:

Growing up, we had a couple of buckets o' crap. You are absolutely correct, those buckets had exactly two sizes when you were looking for a bolt to fix some piece of machinery: too big and too small. When I look back at all the afternoons spent sifting through the BofC and PofC (pan of crap), the money saved in time wasted by having had a good inventory of fasteners on hand would have been significant.

✖
snipped-for-privacy@primelink1.net says...

meaning Robertson?
Add pictures here
✖
-MIKE- wrote:

My problem is that I can't _find_ the golden bucket 'o crap. I know it's here somewhere, in the golden shelves 'o crap or the golden attic 'o crap or the golden garage 'o crap or the golden SUV 'o crap. Oh, and the golden pile 'o crap behind the garage.
I GOTTA dump some 'o crap.
--John
✖