Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

Page 2 of 6

I've had that in mind, but have been hesitant to drill holes in my new toy. The Allen wrench is 1/16 or so, the hole would not have to be large. I can experiment with a scrap to determine the proper hole size.
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Do you have a military mindset in your workshop: "A place for everything, and every thing in its place?"
If so, just keep an extra 1/16 allen wrench in/on the same drawer, shelf, box, right next to the spokeshave.
--

-MIKE-

No military mindset here. Everything does have it's place though. The problem is that items that while rarely used items are always in their place,that my age I don't always remember where that is. :-)
I'll keep an extra wrench around just in case.
Lowell Holmes wrote:

Last time I cleaned my shop, I couldn't find a darn thing. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Of course not! The only time a workshop gets cleaned up is when someone is tired of looking for something and that's exactly when you're most unable to find it/them.
Upscale wrote:

Confession time... I used to work that way, not really bad, but messy enough. Then, my wife became a fan of the show "Clean House"!
Over the last several years, I've gotten myself into the habit of putting _everything_ away at the end of _every_ session, and normalling (slipping in a little sound mixer speak! <G>) all stationary tools.
I've rearranged the shop into short and long term storage (hot and cold), with the short term storage as close as possible to where the item is used. Why was my HVLP rig stored in the main work area? I even got rid of stuff I'll honestly never use again, including some tools.
All the scraps get picked up and filed, and in-progress parts get grouped, shrink wrapped, and labeled. I leave myself to-do lists for the next session.
I used to call people who did this "anal". Now I realize how little time it takes to do, 5-10 minutes per session (one to two beers!), and the extra time the habit creates.
I'm not anal, though! 'cause I only vacuum once a month! <G>
B A R R Y wrote:

I like to try and keep things neat as I work, but when you're up to your neck in alligators...
I've just spent four hours putting away and organizing the top of my workbench. I can now use the bench. I'm going to have to come up with a better storage system as I've run out of room to put thing.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

My most enduring problem is the myriad of nuts, bolts and screws that hide in little pill bottles all over the place. Yup, I've got several of those 64 drawer mini storage things, but the little plastic bottles still multiply exponentially because there's always more categories of things to store than there are drawers.
My current plan is to buy some storage that could be considered a little more along the professional line. The ones I have in mind are more solid, have better partition capabilities and the best part is that they nest together. I can buy and add to them as I wish and they'll all match, unlike my four different versions of 64 drawer thingies that stand out so much because they're all so different.
Upscale wrote:

I gotta' admit...
I gave a bunch of that stuff away. What nobody wanted got recycled.
Not only the normal stuff in Imperial but in metric is starting for me - as I scrap out old stuff...
I have a lot of custom designed nuts and bolts and rods collected over 60 years or so myself and some from Dad.
I had a nice stack of army trunks (three Air force!) and hated to move and pickup some being heavy.
So those are now stacked 3 high 3 wide and back to back (doubling a side) with them on their sides - lids open outwards. Lids keep dust out...
I have added blocks that spread the weight and downwards. Handy storage now.
I have 3 33 drawer file cabinets that each drawer holds a ream of paper. One legal. One is sorted well. The other two need time.
A local hardwood store had a 5 foot tall stack of bins - across the back - if I had known - it was penny on several dollars sale when they went out.
Rats!
Martin
B A R R Y wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote

I've taken to keeping all my routers (6), corded drills (3) and circle saws (2) in a large two drawer legal sized filing cabinet I've set on a shop made wooden, mobile base with those big neoprene casters. Metal, sturdy, easily locked, it's really come in handy the last two moves. Also keeps the easily stolen tools out of view from the occasional visitor from the construction business, many of whom are less than savory characters.
You can see it, tucked out of the way under the wall bench, just behind the clamp rack:
http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/TempShop3.jpg
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's clamps.
--

-MIKE-

I am in the countertop business. Yes.. shock to all. What that means, is that when I am on my back, popping screws upwards into the bottom of a countertop, that the screw I reach for, from the container, is indeed the length of screw I want. There has been a $ 500 difference between the 1-1/4 and the 1-1/2 before. The 1-1/2 popped right through the laminate. OR so I'm told.
When I pick up a screw from the floor, it goes into the garbage.... NOT back into the screw box. My guys are instructed in no uncertain term to do the same. In fact, the 1-1/4 screws live between the 2 and 3 inch screws. All by themselves. The 1-1/2 screws live between the washers and 3/4" screws. It all makes sense when you think about it. If I can buy 1000 screws for $ 20.00, why gamble with a $ 1000.00 countertop?
I also leave the last bit in the drill, and the last bit in the router... because.. what if it is the one you want to use next? (If it isn't, you still haven't wasted any time.) If there is a bit that constantly get switched back and forth.. I buy another router. They're cheap enough and that way the precision routers get less work and let the HF crap do the dirty work.
When a router gets used, it goes back to where it came from. That way EVERYbodyin the shop knows where it is and it stops that 'wherethefukkizzit' look... which annoys me because I PAY for that look.
When I reach for a tool that is supposed to be in a certain place and it is not...that is okay if it is being used. If it is not being used, I get real pissy. And when I am pissy, it doesn't take long for the rest of the guys to start feeling pissy, because it only takes minutes of my day to ruin somebody else's rest-of-the-day.
In all fairness, they are all getting it now.
The one thing I still have a real problem with, is cut-offs. At what point do I keep it, in what configuration, in what colour...yadda yadda. "Wow, this is a nice colour to make a pen out of." Then, in my best Lewis Black imitation; " But Nobody IS going to MAKE a PEN out of THIS!" It then hits the garbage can. Invariably followed by: "Are you throwing that out??"
Robatoy wrote:

A very interesting concept!
We leave the NY Sectional Chart out in the airplane...
I also leave the last bit in the drill, and the last bit in the router... because.. what if it is the one you want to use next?
Depends on how much time is wasted looking in the drill index for a bit that is still in the drill or having to remove the existing drill bit, put it in the drill index and chucking a different size. Guess it depends on how often a particular size is use AND how pissy your are with your rules.
Then, in my best Lewis Black imitation; " But Nobody IS going to MAKE a PEN out of THIS!" It then hits the garbage can.
Bet you have an IP camera permanently trained on that garbage can ~ don't you?

But if you look in the drill first?

Very pissy. I pay for that right. And pissy does not equal unreasonable.

Naa.. I trust my guys.

Yup, and I trust my cat not to go rummaging in the garbage can, but I still put the lid on it. :)

I guess that all depends on whether you're the pisser or the pissee.

wrote in message

That "Depends" ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net