Where to keep the tiny Allen wrench

Where do you keep the tiny Allen wrench that came with the wooden spokeshave (Christmas gift) so you will have it when adjustment or sharpening is required?

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

A verrry thinly veiled drive-by.

Reply to
C & S

I don't know about something that little, however, it may be possible to replace whatever it is with something that can be hand/finger tightened.

For every large power tool I use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls stuck on it. Stuck in the bowl are dedicated tools for any and every adjustment that can be made. Allen wrenches, box wrenches, whatever is needed to make any adjustment is there so i don't have to go looking for it. I also mark with a sharpie, the size of the nut or set screw for each adjustment, right next to it on the machine.

It's amazing how much time and frustration that can save.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Good thinking :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

RE: Subject

In the shelf box labeled "Allen Keys" where all the other allen keys are kept so they don't get lonely.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

Exactly! ... Every Allen wrench for the last 30 years has gone into one box, and, as a result, I know where every Allen wrench for every tool I own, or have ever owned, is.

It takes some sorting on occasion to grab the right one, but at least I know it's in that box, and nowhere else.

Reply to
Swingman

I forgot.

These days the box is divided into two compartments.

One is for metric.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It depends...

Are you into body piercing? ;-)

Reply to
Nova

What I did with the Allen wrench that came with my Knight smoothing plane was to shape a wood shoe on which to store the plane that had a notch cut out to keep the blade from contacting the surface and a hole drilled in one end into which I put the Allen wrench. You could probably do something similar for the spokeshave

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

That might work. Thanks.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

In the drawer with the rest of the allen wrenches that came with tools.

;^)

Reply to
B A R R Y

Magnetic bases from old CB antennas make good tool hangers / parts holders.

Reply to
Father Haskell

I do the same with dollar store baskets:

Reply to
B A R R Y

Nice. Looks like the baskets can be had for cheaper than the magnets alone.

Reply to
-MIKE-

There a whole catagory of school supplies called "locker organizers". They are usually made of plastic and designed to hang off of the side of a metal locker with internal magnets. I got a bunch of them. Some for the shop and others in my office attached to the file cabinet next to my desk.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

use, I keep one of those magnetic bowls

Reply to
Robatoy

How are the magnets, strength-wise?

Reply to
-MIKE-

If the handle is wooden, drill an axial hole (i.e., along the length) of the handle, that's a press fit for the Allen wrench shaft.

John Kopf

Reply to
John O. Kopf

Pretty strong considering they were only intended to hold up school supplies. I am sure that they are are good for a pound or two. Depends on the manufacturer, of course. Quality varies widely for items like this. I picked mine up at a big box office supply store.

If you want to test them, just take the item over to a metal file cabinet and try it out. These aren't going to hold up heavy items. But small tools, etc., they should do just fine.

I am looking at a pencil/misc. holder right now. It has two big scissors, about twenty pens and a couple big rulers in it. I still have to tug it a bit to get it off the file cabinet.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I've had that in mind, but have been hesitant to drill holes in my new toy. The Allen wrench is 1/16 or so, the hole would not have to be large. I can experiment with a scrap to determine the proper hole size.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes