Where to Get the Key for Keyway in Motor Shaft?

I have a Craftsman contractor style tablesaw. Recently I lost the key that is supposed to be placed in the keyway of the motor shaft. This key is a small metal bar, and is ued to lock the motor shaft and the pulley together. Unfortunately, the parts list of the tablesaw doesn't have a part number for this part. I have called the Sears PartDirect; but they don't have any info about it either.

I would like to know where and how to get that key. Is it a very common part?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Woodruff keys are usually generic. I can find an assortment of sizes at Ace Hardware.

Reply to
BobN

Jay,

Try your local ACE or other hardware store. Mine sells them and we're a small little town with lots of farmers nearby. I suspect you should avoid the big box guys. Go where they sell nails by the pound.

MJM

Reply to
mjmwallace

If you're in the US go by any Harbor Freight and get their Keystock Storehouse #93199 or #95843 for about 6 bucks. Should be one in it that is either the right size or can be easily made to fit with a few minutes filing or dremeling.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"Jay Chan" wrote

It is very common. A;most any industrial supplier or bearing house will have them. Just bring the pulley in and they will match it.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Jay

If all else fails take the model number of the saw to Sears and order a replacement key. Might cost more but it will be the right one.

Maybe ;^).

Dave Nagel

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Thanks for everyone who has replied. I will remove the pulley from the tablesaw and bring it to ACE to find a matching key. I will let you know how this goes.

I cannot go to Sears to get a replacement part because that part doesn't have a part number. The advice from Sears PartDirect customer service is to order the pulley and hope that the pulley comes with the key. She was not sure either. Obviously I didn't order it.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

The Sears customer rep is giving the usual helpful information they always give.

There should be an expoloded view of the saw that should show the key and keyway. There will be a table of components with the view. The Sears idiot should be able to obtain the part number from this list.

Remember I said SHOULD, with Sears that doesn't always mean COULD.

Dave

Reply to
David G. Nagel

I have got a replacement key from ACE, and installed it in my tablesaw. It works fine now. Thanks for people here giving me the direction.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan