Where to get rough pine and cedar in Southern Ontario?

Dunno about prices or amounts, but you could try Edgewood Lumber in Hawkesville. Or maybe Welbeck Sawmill near Durham. Waterloo County has a wealth of small Mennonite and Amish 'pine and oak' furniture makers. I'd suggest visiting a few and asking where they get their materials.

Reply to
Doug Payne

Copy & paste from another forum:

----------------- There are a few that I regularly use. A&M in Cambridge, Hoffmeyers Mill in Sebringville (near Stratford) and Kevin Shea. (He advertises in the classified ads section. I have only purchased from Kevin once so far but I am very pleased with the quality.)

There are a couple in London as well. Philmore Enterprises on Sarnia Road and there is another just off Quebec St. I can not for the life of me remember the name. (P&H Hardwoods possibly.)

One of the best suppliers of cedar in the area is, believe it or not, the Castle building center in Shakespear. They carry more than just the typical deck lumber.

-----------------

I'm not the source, but i have had good material from Philmore Enterprises in Hyde Park (near London)

Reply to
Robatoy

:-) Maybe you should try following them.

Did you try Edgewood or Welbeck? Or maybe Townsend Lumber in Tillsonburg or Muskoka Timber in Bracebridge?

Reply to
Doug Payne

Define 'around the corner'..*G* Another decent source, of all places, is Commonwealth Plywood in London.

Robatoy

I've been told by several wood workers that I'm paying way to much for third and fourth grade lumber and that I could get much better stuff from the Amish or Mennonites but for whatever reason aren't willing to give me their source. Does anyone know where I can get a couple thousand feet of rough pine and cedar in Southern Ontario?

Reply to
HotRdd

These are the guys I've talked too and none of them want to give up their supplier. It's almost like I'm asking them where there favourite "Secret" fishing hole is. OF course I've been told that I should be able to buy good kiln dried pine 1 /4+" x 12+" for around 95 cents a foot. I'm not sure about the cedar. I originally bought a few hundred feet from local lumber yards and all of it became horrible twisted as it dried. I then bought a couple thousand feet from a local who has a large kiln but was paying $1.20 a foot. When I'm buying a few thousand feet at a time it makes a big difference.

Reply to
HotRdd

Thanks for the info. I'm just around the corner from you so that really keeps it local.

Reply to
HotRdd

So..... you're a deer?

nyuk, nyuk...

I do a fair bit of business up and down the shore-line. It's a wonderful area.

Reply to
Robatoy

I'm between Sarnia and GrandBend. SO I split my shopping between Sarnia and London.

Reply to
HotRdd

Solid surface countertops and a little bit of cabinetry for now. When the big move takes place, I will step up the cabinet side again. I have a few customers in Forest, in fact, I'm doing an installation there next week... on Park Lane. One of your local sign-makers (RJ) is experimenting with sandblasting Solid Surface material. Small world.

Robatoy

I actually live in the "Forest". Is your main work woodworking?

Reply to
HotRdd

You may have done my neighbours place over on "Church" street? If RJ needs help with the sandblastig let me know I use to work for a large operation in Sarnia that does custom work and now has six small - huge cabnets with different medium. Maybe one of these days I'll track you down and we can grab a Tim's. Wood working is my side "fun" though I seem to be doing a lot of custom casing, crown and base boards with the new machines. So if you ever looking for trim drop me a line nlcc REMOVE rod@ REMOVE xcelco.on.ca

Reply to
HotRdd