Where to get decent screws

Page 1 of 2
It just happened again. I was screwing a post to a base on weathervane cupola I am building and the screw (8 X 1-1/2) snapped. I tried to take another screw out and the head stripped like it was made out of butter..and these were predrilled holes and I lubricated the screws with wax and the wood is pine!! Seems the screws I buy these days are just soft metal crap whether I go to HD or to the local hardware store. Where do you guys buy screws? Is there a decent supplier out there. McFeeley's?
George
george pagliarulo wrote:

S/S and bronze from Jamestown Distributors or my local hardware.

If you are willing to pay the price.
McFeeley's?
Probably.
There marine offerings are limited, so don't buy much from them.
Lew
If they are available your side, look for the Concept screw. Self- lubricated, self-drilling and self-counter-sinking. Seem to be designed to work with a power driver (wouldn't start with my Yankee, but would if I bradawled a pilot hole). Each box comes with a special driving bit, but the scews will work with phillips and pozi. Best and most convenient screws I've worked with; zap through and into pine with no problems. Available from our local supplier here in Blackpool, England, which is linked to the Jewson group.

I'm still working on a response to the Subject line.....

heh... I thought it was a troll at first... ;)
--
flip
Just on the border of your waking mind, There lies - Another time,
george pagliarulo wrote:

McFeelys is good. Might also want to look at http://www.fastenal.com/web/home.ex (note that they have local distributers) and http://www.screw-products.com/diy.htm .
--John

Screws snapping is nothing new. I was witnessing this in the late 70's. Yes, buy from McFeeley's. They have a premium quality line of screws.
george pagliarulo wrote:

Nah, it's just too easy of a target.

Street corner most cities of any size.
Brent Beal wrote:

A lot of posters claim to have gotten screwed at Home Depot.
Just Wondering wrote:

The ones on the street corner are rent-a-screws anyway.
--John

Think that was the OP's complaint. He got a cheap screw from Home Depot.
"Mark & Juanita" wrote

Should we notify the vise squad?
<groan>
Lee Michaels wrote:

Nah just go out and get hammered.
On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 14:48:31 -0500, "george pagliarulo"
... snip

Ah, you already know the answer young jedi, Now, go, get thyself to McFeely's web site.

Mcfeely's will have the decent screws your looking for. Additionally, if you have or can borrow an impact driver, that will help towards not breaking screws as well. Since I got my impact driver, I haven't broken a single screw (knock on wood!). Cheers, cc

McFeely's definitely seems to be top of the line according to opinions around here. I've had very good luck with the wood screws from Rockler - cheaper than McFeely's, and they've performed very well in my experience. If you're ordering from their website rather than a store, they have a multi pack of 400 screws for $7 which I think is a very good deal. They have both square and square-X, either of which work FAR better than phillips (when used with a decent square drive bit). If you want washer-head screws, the Kreg brand screws are pretty good - I've gotten good deals on them from Amazon. Good luck, Andy

Yeah, see, there's your problem. Yur nockin on the wood, not the screw head, so a course they don' break. Move that impact driver over t'the top of the screw and try again.
--
"Keep your ass behind you."

Sat, Mar 10, 2007, 2:48pm snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net (georgepagliarulo) did ask:
Well, taking into consideration that things may have changed since I was last there, I'd give high ranks to Germany, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand.
JOAT It was too early in the morning for it to be early in the morning. That was the only thing that he currently knew for sure. - Clodpool
I'd give high ranks to Germany, Singapore, Taiwan,

For shame! Ignoring The Netherlands which tends to have the best of all of the above!