Where to find miter bar?

I have a craftsman benchtop table saw. The miter slot is 3/4", but it has thses little tabs along the top that make it 1/2" at the top and

3/4" at the bottom requiring a "T" shapped miter bar. I am trying t find where I can get some bars that are this shape and size so that I can construct some shop jigs. Does anyone in the group have any idea where I can locate some?
Reply to
Albert Stanley Hurdle

Why not take the table to a machine shop, get those ledges cut out? Alex

Reply to
AArDvarK

It would probably cost as much as the original saw.

Maybe it is time to trade up?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

By Sun, 02 May 2004 22:24:24 GMT, Albert Stanley Hurdle decided to post "Where to find miter bar?" to rec.woodworking:

You could get some of that HDPE (high density poly-ethelene) bar stock in

3/4" width and rip or route the shape you need. That stuff will machine just fine. Wood comes to mind as well.

/ts

Reply to
/..

Sun, May 2, 2004, 10:24pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@midsouth.rr.com (Albert=A0Stanley=A0Hurdle) queries: Does anyone in the group have any idea where I can locate some?

NO.

But, I do know what I'd do, if I wanted something like that. I'd measure, then use my local phone book. I'd start by calling local machine shops, ask if they had something like that, or knew where I could get some. If they couldn't help, then I'd ask if they had any idea who I could call that might help. A LOT of times I've gotten leads when I ask who I could call. Of course, that would be for new stock. You could do the same with scrap metal, call salvage dealers, etc. ALWAYS be polite. If that didn't do it, I'd use google, there's places that list T stock, it's probably a standard size.

But, me, I'd probably just get some bar stock, then drill it, and use screws, or braze it to make my own T stock. Or, use washers, or something along those lines, that'd work. Various ways to do it, and solving your own problems is more fun. No prob.

JOAT If you think dogs can't count, try putting three dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only two of them.

- Phil Pastoret

Reply to
J T

I have this same table saw, although I recently upgraded to a Jet. You are pointing out my biggest frustration with it.

I made my own out of some hardwood and also some of those poly strips. Carefully ripped strips down to that size and then set up some feather boards to the upper groove.

Later I found that if you know the Sears / Craftsman part number for the saw, you can go to Sears.com and order it as a part. You need to drill down into the miter gauge assembly to get to the individual bars. But I think they were $3 - 5 bucks a piece... a lot easier and cheaper than making them yourself.

Neall

Reply to
SouthJersey Woodworker

One option is to file off those tabs so the miter gauge slot is 3/4" from top to bottom. Then you just rip hardwood or UHMW plastic to fit snugly in the slots for the runners on your jigs.

If you want to keep the tabs you could rabbet the jig runners into a T-shape yourself to clear the tabs.

Sears parts department will sell you replacement miter gauge bars that you could modify to attach to your jigs if you prefer not to make them yourself.

There's probably a one-in-a-million chance you're going to find ready made steel bars with the right T-section just laying around anywhere, and the cost of having bars custom machined will get prohibitive fast. But there's nothing wrong with making your own from scraps of hardwood.

Have fun!

Tim

Reply to
tim124c41