where to find info on distressing wood?

I want to make some fir boards look old and battered. I was thinking of burning it and then wire brushing it off. seems like this would be pretty messy though. It will be painted after.
Where can I find some information on other ways to do this?
To send me e-mail remove the sevens from my address.
Chrisd

Use whatever works to get the look you want. Some folks swing a chain against the wook, file the edges, a few hammer dents, drop some things on it. But whatever you do, the distressing has to look as if it was made a long time ago, and then it too has worn smooth. after beating things up a bit, lightly sand the boards to soften the dents, scratches etc. whatever you do to distress the wood.
--
Thanks,

Ham

A bicycle chain and an old screwdriver worked well for me.

messy but effective. a little less messy and a little less effective is wire brushing alone. another approach involves sandblasting.
"." wrote:

Do you have kids? Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Just build whatever you want out of it and then push it down some stairs...

Come on guys where is the standard reply or did that go out while I was away. GOOGLE!
--

"." < snipped-for-privacy@telus.net> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...
Try it
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:44:50 -0500, "Young_carpenter"

To send me e-mail remove the sevens from my address.
Chrisd
OK, build whatever you want out of the wood and then toss it down GOOGLE's stairs. <grin>

Try this link Chris...
http://www.am-wood.com/finishes/distress.html
Hope this helps,
Dusty
"A man without a wife is like a fish without a bicycle."
Why would somone beat up a perfectly good piece of wood? You wouldn't buy a new car and run it through a fence would you?
BGP

Give the board to a couple of kids to play with out in the yard and in a couple of days get the board back and start your project.